• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2l hot start problem

johnsr

i have a m1028 that i got back in august. idrove it home from utah and started haveing a hot start problem. it would not start when it got hot, unless you used starting fluid. that is the last thing i want to do to my truck. one of the local shops said it was my injetion pump, so i replaced it. the truck started fine for about a week. now evry now a now and then it dose not want to start when hot? any one know how to fix this?

thank you:confused::confused::lost:

JAsher45

odds are it is the fuel shut off solenoid in the injection pump. when they are old and weak they will tend to stick shut when hot. JP8 messing these up alot. you can replace it for about $25-50 from any stanadyne dealer. in the mean time just carry a bottle of water with you. when it has its hot start problem just pour the water ontop of the IP pump. it will cool it and shock it to open.

JAsher45

replaced new or rebuilt... they only test for operation of the shut off on a rebuild and test fluid keeps it cool, doesn't turn in to a heat sink from the engine. it can still be at fault. i have had this with brand new out of the box pumps from stanadyne on the dyno.

johnsr

i have tried the cold water and it still was hard to start. have not checked the glow plugs yet, how do you do that? also the passenger side of the motor is wet, dont know if its fuel or oil. would a bad return line make it hard to start when hot?

JAsher45

i bad return line would not make it hard to start... just a fire hazard. open up the TM's in the sticky and start on the trouble shooting tree. the TM will show you how to check the fuel system and the GP system. get to digging