• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2l Really a Detroit?

akcucv

Does anybody have any documentation that the 6.2 is really a detroit? I have a bet with a guy at work that says it isn't. I have always heard it was, but just a chevy gas motor coverted over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THEROAD

Designed as a diesel engine from the ground up by the Detroit Diesel Division of General Motors, the original 6.2L diesel engine was introduced in the 1982 model year GMC and Chevy C/K pickup truck and full-size SUV lines. Taking this engine design to the next level in the 1992 model year, the new 6.5L diesel engine was an advancement in technology, and was designed for the application of a turbocharger. The 6.2L saw its final year of production in 1993. While the 6.5 was replaced by the Duramax 6600 beginning in the 2001 model year Chevy and GMC vehicle production, the 6.5L diesel engine continues to be manufactured and sold by AM General. AM General is the manufacturer of the civilian H1 Hummer & military HMMWV. Not to worry, support for the 6.2/6.5 will continue to be a big part of The Diesel Page well into the future.
I just did a google search and turned this up. Learn to use google to find at just about anything. One of my friends asked once how I knew so much my answer was google bitch.

rizzo

RE: Re: RE: 6.2l Really a Detroit?

I think a lot of people say the 6.2 is just an oldsmobile 350 gasser block turned diesel. I say "if it is a 350 cu inch block , why do they call it 6.2L?"

jaytee

RE: Re: RE: 6.2l Really a Detroit?

yeah I'm pretty sure the 5.7L olds gasser turned into a diesel is the 5.7L olds diesel...........just a thought but I bet I'm right....

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: 6.2l Really a Detroit?

jaytee said:
yeah I'm pretty sure the 5.7L olds gasser turned into a diesel is the 5.7L olds diesel...........just a thought but I bet I'm right....
yeah, people seen to get the 5.7 and the 6.2 confused for some reason

dependable

The 6.2 , and the 8.2 med truck engine , for that matter, may have been desingrd by Detroit. Some folks, myself included, tend to refer to the 53 and 71 two cycle diesel sieries as Detroits. Lots of power and way too loud.

dependable

OK how? is this a knock knock joke?

If you are refering to the 5.7s , they tried to beef up the basic chevy small block with roller chain timing, 4 bolt mains ect. Most of them died young,, though a friend of mine had an Olds that made it to 180k miles.

AJMBLAZER

dependable said:
OK how? is this a knock knock joke?

If you are refering to the 5.7s , they tried to beef up the basic chevy small block with roller chain timing, 4 bolt mains ect. Most of them died young,, though a friend of mine had an Olds that made it to 180k miles.
They did it with the Olds 350, not the Chevy 350.

The Olds guys love the diesel blocks when they can find a good one as they can be WAY overbored.

mangus580

If you find a factory engine thats not totally covered with grease.... they have decals on the valve covers, showing the Detroit Logo.

akcucv

all very good information. I have heard the same about the gas to diesel. I have also heard it was chevy design, Detroit made? True? Some way, some how i need to find some hard facts. Guy at work says he use to work for detroit, which i dont' doubt at all, but he denies hard core that the chevy 6.2l diesel was not a detroit.

AJMBLAZER

GM and Detroit were linked at the time. GM owned a controlling majority in Detroit or something like that, sorta like AAMCo and a few others that are now separate entities. It's a confusing story as to how it came about but it seems, to me at least, like GM wanted a SUCCESSFUL light duty diesel after the 5.7L fiasco and had Detroit do it for them. We've all heard the arguments but I know I've seen the Detroit parts and Detroit labeling on some of them and everything I've ever seen for official documentation from GM and the military says Detroit. All my HMMWV books in the USMC said Detroit Diesel.

appnut1

Actually the olds 5.7 block was based on the 425 gas motor with some modifications to drive the injection pump off the cam and reduce displacement to 350 to allow for the increased pressures of a deisel. Early units were very unreliable but the last of the run also known as the "DX" blocks were quite good and even spawned an alluminium headded v-6 in the Cutlass Cierra for a little while. The "DX" was a good performer, mileage and power wise but the reputation had already ben destryed so there was no saving the product, a little R&D before release would have made a big difference.
The 6.2 was a joint venture between Chevy, Detroit and Isuzu which GM used to own as well.

AJMBLAZER

My father in law had one of the late 5.7L diesel powered GM fullsize cars. He said the guy before him had done something to make it last and while it lost some power because of this he never had any trouble with it. My mother in law could drive it from Lansing, MI to Nashville, TN and only need to fill the tank halfway through the return trip.
He'd love another but they all rotted a long time ago up here.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I remember having a Soldier that had a 5.7 Diesel in a big Olds 98 that said the motor was shot I tried to pull it and it wieghed a ton more than a gas 350. I almost dropped it with the lift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks