• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L simple question

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am assuming that the manufacturer of the 6.2L diesel engines found in CUCVs are
made by GM. Is this absolutely true? Or do they buy the motors from someone else?

swyne

The GM CUCV's were produced in the 1984-86 time period (mostly 1984) and were powered by 6.2L Detroit Diesel V8 engine. Sounds to me that they purchased these engines and installed them. Just as ford buys International diesel (Powerstroke) for there pickups and Chevy went to Isuzu for the (Duramax) and Dodge buys (Cummins) Now GM might modify certain things so that they will fit the application just as the others do. My 6.0 liter Powerstroke can be found in many different style trucks. Bigger trucks might have a larger oil pan, fuel filter system might change a bit. GM tried producing Diesels and they failed at it.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! So just to make this clear, if someone asks me who made the engine in my CUCV,
I should tell them "Detroit Diesel" but joinly designed by GM and Detroit Diesel.

gunner01

guys, I believe you are mistaken. The 6.2 is a piece of chevy motor manufactured in Detroit not part of Detroit diesel. Detroit diesels are 2 stroke motors known in slang terms as "screaming jimmys" To my knowledege they have never made a 4 stroke diesel, and a 6.2 is a 4 stroke. The 6.2 is an upgraded 5.7 which failed miserably in the early 1980`s. General Motor Corp owns Detroit diesel, so this could be where the confusion comes from. Just my 2cents worth.

Croatan_Kid

Correct, GM did own Detroit Diesel and Allison Transmissions at one time. However, the 6.2 has nothing to do with the Oldsmobile 5.7 and was entirely a product of Detroit Diesel, but was made for GM. Detroit Diesel does, indeed, make 4-stroke diesels and has for quite some time. The 2-strokes "Screamin' Jimmy" was the OLD 60 series that had a turbo that blew through a supercharger that was gear driver by the timing gear set. Detroit Diesel on-road division is now a subsidary of Diamler AG.

General Motors introduced the Diesel V8 engines for their C/K pickup trucks in 1982. This engine family, designed by GM division Detroit Diesel, was produced through 2000, when it was replaced by the new Duramax line.

The General Motors light-truck 6.2 and 6.5 L Diesel engines were optional in all 1982 through 2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K series pickup trucks, Suburbans, Blazer/Jimmy, Tahoe/Yukon, vans, and motor homes.

ehuppert

C/K

Good response, you were quicker than i!

The 6.2 isn't my favorite engine (SBC in my CUCV), but they did hold up surpisingly well in light of the adverese conditions they were used in.

I'll further elaborate on the 53's, 60's and 90's. They weren't turbo in the old days, just had a big honking "blower" hanging off of them. Went to a tech school in the early 80's and spent quite a bit of time working on these at "school" and at work. Gotta love those rack adjustments!

Hmm, several older MV's used the detroits, but think the 53's were more prominent than the others.

And, second the 4 stroke DD's. Been around for quite some time.

And, if i've provided skewed info it's because i've been around a long time and the details get hazy! :eek:)

Eric

AJMBLAZER

What he said.

GM did have an interest in Detroit Diesel going way back as well. Sorta like Allison used to be a GM division. GM sold it's controlling interest off around the early 90's if I recall correctly.

FYI the 6.5L is still around as a specialty engine and there's some high zoot versions now that would give a Cummins or Powerstroke a run for it's money. The Marine versions are down right scary.

Croatan_Kid said:
Correct, GM did own Detroit Diesel and Allison Transmissions at one time. However, the 6.2 has nothing to do with the Oldsmobile 5.7 and was entirely a product of Detroit Diesel, but was made for GM. Detroit Diesel does, indeed, make 4-stroke diesels and has for quite some time. The 2-strokes "Screamin' Jimmy" was the OLD 60 series that had a turbo that blew through a supercharger that was gear driver by the timing gear set. Detroit Diesel on-road division is now a subsidary of Diamler AG.

General Motors introduced the Diesel V8 engines for their C/K pickup trucks in 1982. This engine family, designed by GM division Detroit Diesel, was produced through 2000, when it was replaced by the new Duramax line.

The General Motors light-truck 6.2 and 6.5 L Diesel engines were optional in all 1982 through 2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K series pickup trucks, Suburbans, Blazer/Jimmy, Tahoe/Yukon, vans, and motor homes.

Croatan_Kid

Thanks guys, I try! I remembered so quickly because our old '78 Intenational Loadstar had a sticker on the glovebox that said Detroit/GM/Allsion Coporation...or something to that effect. Most people would be very surprised as to who has owned who/ what in the past.

Also, I remember my uncle telling me about the turbo/supercharged Detroits. He said they messed with the boost pressures on some of them and some suffered catastrophic meltdown. The boost from the turbo was more than the supercharger could manage and it would bend the lobes, warp them, and then they would shatter into the motor. Sounds almost as fun as a runaway!

Oh...and a local junkyard has a 2-stroke skidder/forklift thingy they use to move cars around. They plainly show why they were called Screamin Jimmies!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DDA did have influence on the 6.2/ 6.5 design. It was a wholly GM produced engine though. All of them came from Moraine Assy in Dayton OH. Moraine Assy is now the duramax line. The 6.2 has some similarities with the Detroit 8.2 4 stroker. FWIW, Moraine Assy produced 30,000 warranty 6.5s before the line was shut down for retooling and the impending Duramax. I still have hooks at Moraine Assy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First run of the Duramax they found that a trend of soft crankshafts. They stripped the externals and scrapped every one of them. I came close to begging the hook I had for one but waqs flatly denied. If I could get one, it would be right here with me!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a few 6.2 with the DD inblem on the vavle cover stickers. And all 60 and 40 series DD's are 4 strokes. The only thing in commin the 6.2 had with the 5.7 is the DB-2 injection pump.

mangus580

ken said:
I've seen a few 6.2 with the DD inblem on the vavle cover stickers.
Same here Ken. DD did indeed help in design and production of the 6.2. My brother bought a brand new 'crate' engine in roughly 95 for his civvy blazer. The decals on the valve covers said Detroit Diesel on them. Numerous pieces of documentation state the same.

AJMBLAZER

When I was in the Marines 97-01 and had my jen-u-wine HMMWV license all the material we were given, taught with, and expected to know stated the 6.2L and 6.5L were Detroit Diesel engines.

appnut1

Detroit diesel and Allison were both owned by GM along with Electromotive Diesel AKA EMD that built locomotives. DD was sold to Penske who sold it to Damler who has now dumped the 2 stroke line AKA "53"."71", "92", and "149" (cubic inches per cyclinder) to a investor group, the 4 stroke line series 40, 50, and 60 are still made by Damler. The "olds 5.7 litre engine was based an a 425 gas motor design from Oldsmobile and has nothing in common with the 6.2/6.5. The 6.2/6.5 were a GM engine not a DD engine they borrowed some of the design ideas from the 8.2 litre "fuel Pincher" DD built in the 70's. There was always some confusion on where it all came from but after working in the GM and fleet buisiness since 1978 I am pretty sure of my facts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks