• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L to SM465 Flywheel Confusion

pevrs114

OK gents,

I've been doing extensive research ahead of swapping in an SM465 granny gear 4spd and NP205 behind my 6.2L. I've got my parts list done up, most of the parts collected, and I'm down to the last few elements -

specifically-

flywheel
pressure plate
clutch and
bearings associated with the clutch system.

I've been reading over some posts here and on ColoradoK5, and I've run across a few conflicting part numbers for the flywheels. KennyW recommends PN 14022675 (but it doesn't show up as a valid PN on GMPartsDirect.com), I've also run across PN 14050525N which I'm unable to confirm, and my Chevy dealer quoted me PN 14077160.

I told them I needed a flywheel for an '86 Chevy K30 4WD with 6.2L J code diesel and 4spd manual trans. This PN (14077160) seems to verify across the board as a valid number, but it's expensive. I've also seen LUK PN LFW201, but the guys at CarQuest who've spoken to the LUK rep say this part is a no-go and LUK doesn't make a flywheel for that application.

So, I'm stuck. I'd hate to order a $300 flywheel to find out it doesn't fit... (actually a $550 flywheel, but ordered from a direct online wholesaler it drops to $300 plus shipping)

I'll be running a hydraulic clutch setup, I scored big time and grabbed an entire cab from a hydro clutch setup stick shift truck, and got the trans, bellhousing, slave and master cylinders, pedal hangers, pedals, steering column, the works. My plan is to drop the entire cab on, as mine is badly rotted out. I got the entire package (complete cab and trans) for trading a 4WD TH400 trans that I had as a spare. The money I saved in finding all those parts I don't mind putting into the rest of the system, probably the flywheel and pressure plate.

Anybody have a good source that I can use to verify the PN's for an entire system that will work together?

Thanks in advance! (I tried to crosspost on ColoradoK5 but I don't have posting priveleges until I buy a upgraded membership)

Oh yeah, I've scoured most of my local wrecking yards to no avail, and Craigslist only finds two 6.2L/SM465 trucks nearby, one for $650 and one for $1500...

pevrs114

Kenny,

Thanks for the help, I assumed (yeah we all know what that gets you) that your number was a PN because it had the same digits and same 140-series. I'll double check around and cross reference with my guys at Carquest, hopefully I can finally make this happen!

Also, thanks for the tip about CK5, I like the site a lot and intend to join soon!

Kenny,

I've also heard of trouble with the 6.2L starter bolting up to a gasser bellhousing? I've got a 12V starter on the truck now, but I can't say for sure what type. What bellhousing did you use, and did you run into any starter clearance problems?

Last edited:

oilcan

I didn't look for a part number on my flywheel before installing it. My understanding is there is a solid unit, and a dual-mass unit. Everyone I talked to said to stay away from the dual mass flywheel because they like to come apart.

I did have a little bellhousing/starter clearance issue that was resolved with a die grinder.

When I killed my first 6.2 in the 715, I temporarily replaced it with a 350, and the clutch set from the 6.2 fit the gasser flywheel just fine. I'm finally back to the stinky diesel now. Yay!

dependable

Make sure the end of the driveshaft is bored out for the clutch pilot bearing and you press one in. Some engines from automatics were not even boared out . In my opinion, having owned two manual trans 6.2s and many automatics, the toque curve works better with the automatics, not to say that a manual can't be a good truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks