• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L Turbo????

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,

Was just trying to find out is there any turbo kit for a 1987 AM General HMMWV 6.2L diesel, 3 speed automatic transmission or has any one every put a turbo on one of these before???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search ????

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The 6.2 head design and block will not readily accept a typical HMMWV turbo setup (due to the intake bolt angle and the oil return on the block). There was a kit from Banks that would work in place of it, but had been long since discontinued. You might be able to find one of these, but it'll be difficult. Your next idea might be to use a typical pickup truck 6.5 turbo setup, this too will not work because it positions the turbo into the firewall of the HMMWV. The short and sweet of it is, there's not really a cheap option for a 6.2 bolt on kit unless you make it all on your own. Easiest option is to simply replace a 6.5 turbo power pack back into it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search my old posts.

Short answer.... NO.

Long answer... I'm workin' on it.

Best

T

Skrilex

Banned
I found a banks kit locally and I’m going to attempt to put it on my 85’. If you’re handy with turbos you might just need the banks manifold which is available on eBay for 350$ or so. Then you can adapt a turbo to that.

HETvet

You have to center mount it. This is doable with a 3” body lift and some handy work on the dog house. Oil feed line could come off of the blocked port on the oil filter mount. Return line gets tricky. And you might end up needing a scavenging oil pump on the return/drain line to prevent excessive pressure build up in the turbo center section, causing oil to seep past the seals and potentially causing a run away.

I’m currently in the process of designing a remote mount system using a HX35 with some tweaking.

HETvet

Because the engine compartment is so tight due to everything being sucked up high for ground clearance. You can’t do a side mount due to the upper shock mounts. A center mount is doable but the location the turbo sits in is taken up by the dog house. The foot well/fire wall is where you would typically locate the turbos for a twin set up. Can’t go forward mount do to the cooling fan and radiator. To do it “easily” and as budget friendly as you can, you have to get the turbo out of the engine bay all together. But this also creates other hurdles you have to deal with.

jackson76550

Intake manifold bolts are in the way, plus you need 1.5-2” of body lift. The turbo trucks the military had all had 1” of body lift
I keep reading about the body lift....then I look in my shop at my turbo converted truck using hmmwv turbo parts that has no body lift. things are close but in no danger of rubbing anything.

I added a center mount to my truck with a civilian 6.5. the 6.5 has the turbo mount cast into the rear but the oil drain and feed are not drilled as this was a side mount turbo engine. so I drilled it. the 6.2 does not have those provisions so it would take some more creativity for turbo mounting/oiling/draining. if you want the center mount intake you will also need the correct cylinder heads.

for a 6.2 my guess is a custom hotside could be done and you could make it work with a 6.5 turbo intake from a pickup or something like that. I have added turbos to a few cars...jeeps.. etc. they all had more room than these trucks. the center mount stuff can be had cheap, the doghouses are out there....

I haven't thought much into the 6.2 with a turbo, I feel like I could do it without much issue, but I have done similar things in the past adding turbos where they aren't supposed to be.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A banks sidewinder kit for a 80's Chevy with a 6.2 would be very close to working. A 6.2 with vbelts is clear at the passenger side front of the engine. where the banks mounts. The cross over from the drivers side manifold comes around the front just below the harmonic balancer. The oil feed and return worries would be solved with the banks parts. I would think the biggest worry would be running the exhaust from the turbo to the tail pipe. I think it would be pretty tight. The intake side would still use the stock intake manifold. But you would nee to drill the two holes for the hold down bolts.

botulism

No body lift required. I was able to assemble a 6.2 kit from some Banks parts that were sitting on various shelves. It took a long time to find what was needed and a long time to piece it together. 20180222_095210_resized.jpg
It was VERY tight under the hood, but got it done with only minimal modifications. Relocated a reservoir and had to install some extra heat shielding but it still gets pretty hot for the passenger.

My 0-55 time (before the front end shimmy starts) is now at the low end of the acceptable range (13 seconds) and highway merges are no longer an issue. The turbo peaks out at about 9 pounds of boost before shifting into top gear. Still rockin' the TH400.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That banks (patouee) manifold is hard to come by now. But that's what I have in mind for mine.

Action

No body lift required. I was able to assemble a 6.2 kit from some Banks parts that were sitting on various shelves. It took a long time to find what was needed and a long time to piece it together. View attachment 735493
It was VERY tight under the hood, but got it done with only minimal modifications. Relocated a reservoir and had to install some extra heat shielding but it still gets pretty hot for the passenger.

My 0-55 time (before the front end shimmy starts) is now at the low end of the acceptable range (13 seconds) and highway merges are no longer an issue. The turbo peaks out at about 9 pounds of boost before shifting into top gear. Still rockin' the TH400.
How do you properly fill coolant when the cap is below the top of radiator?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks