• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 diesel fuel housing in m1009?

rodman68

I couldn’t find any previous information on this but has anybody installed a 6.5 diesel fuel housing in the m1009. I have one that came from a 1994 van and I also have the intake but not sure if I want to install that just for a place to mount the filter housing. My factory housing is leaking so would like to change to a different system, I have seen the other filter housing mods but figured since I have this setup maybe I can make it work.

cucvrus

If it is leaking at the small half dollar sized pressure switch just remove that switch and plug the hole. It is not needed unless you are using the diagnostic plug under the dash which I doubt. It sounds to me like you just want the leak to go away. That is the fix the leak and go solution. It will work and cost nothing. Other than that you can install another spin on filter or 2 and gauges and all sorts of cost adding parts to do the same thing and end up with the same results in the end. Filtered fuel. I tend to keep it simple so I fix the issue at the least cost and change. I hope that helps. But the skies the limit on fuel filter housings and designs. Some sealer and a self taping screw is an easy fix for your current stock set up. I just bought a stock fuel filter at Autozone yesterday for the Jersey Indian M1028 I am working on. $17.99 PN FF7640L. Good Luck. Fix it not redesign it. That is my thought on your issue.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I switched mine to the FM100 but purely for economic reasons. For the cost of 3 filters I bought the new setup and 6 replacement filters. The market was flooded with filters a while back and a case of 6/was around $25. I have 60 on the shelf for future use.

CUCVLOVER

Hello.
Is this the filter ensembly you are talking about?1368588732_Fuel-Filter-Housing-All-CK-Trucks-USED.jpg

If it is I don't see why you couldn't use it. It seems like a decent standalone cartridge filter. I see no reason it would not work but I have never had a 6.5 filter base in my hands I just read a little about it.
If it was me I would convert to a spin on filter. My truck started running like a turd, it would loose prime in less then a hr of sitting and was dripping a little fuel. So instead of plugging the hole I just replaced the unit with a spin on. I really liked the old box filters but I didn't want to worry about the filter later on.That's what I did and the truck runs much better.
Here is a link to my filter swap if you want to read about it. It's post 49.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?145931-Cucvlover-s-m1008-the-green-machine/page5

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Runs better??? Explain that. How does it run better with a different fuel filter. Just asking?
I will edit my post with this info.

The truck started running like a turd, it would loose prime in less then a hr of sitting and was dripping a little fuel. So instead of plugging the hole I just replaced the unit with a spin on. I really liked the old box filters but I didn't wasn't to worry about the filter later on.

cucvrus

Gotcha. So you repaired a leaking fuel filter base with an entire different fuel filter system. Now I understand. I thought WOW runs better sort of like a K & N gives more power. The jury is still out on that one. As a matter of opinion. Been running the same M1008 on a daily basis since 2004 and it never misses a day of work. Running or being worked on.

rodman68

That is the filter I have on hand that I was thinking of swapping with the leaking box filter that is in the m1009. One reason is it has a fuel heater that I pretty well need because it runs on biodiesel most of the time.

rodman68

Seen those not sure if I like them will be concerned about the temperature don’t think they are controlled automatically. The ones on ebay say 65c and that I think is about 140 degrees seems a little warm to me for bio diesel even. Believe these are actually designed for the WVO and WMO runners. Also seen the coolant heated filter head on that same site but don’t think its a good idea to heat the fuel that high. I don’t think i will use the 6.5 setup might be too difficult to fabricate something for it probably just try and sell it and go with the napa filter head.