• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 GEP turbo pre combustion cups

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all I got the 6.5 pulled out from my 1152 sitting on a stand in the garage and just had a question on the pre cups. I know cracking is a common issue, and all 8 are cracked. I’m on the path to pull the heads and change them. I mean the engine is out, sitting in the garage so why wouldn’t I change them right? I’ve just not dealt with cups on idi engines before so I’m not sure how bad that cracking is and didn’t want to replace them if that’s what they are going to look like 10k miles later. I just wanted, more or less, from people way more experienced than I to either agree or disagree in replacing them. Here’s two snap shots from the borescope before I pull the heads.

Attachments

87cr250r

In the right pic the pre cup is starting to lose material. That's bad. Do replace that one. In the left pic, that cracking is normal. In turbo machinery we call that stress relief cracking.

The general rule is that you don't want the cracks to extend across the head gasket fire ring. I think 8mm is the maximum crack length allowed in the manual.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is normal but honestly if I had the heads off I would take them down to a machine shop and have them check the heads out. Much easier then putting her back together and running into an issue. I believe the "Diamond" stamped pre-cups are supposed to be the better ones. Keep us updated.

Mark

20211106165428.jpg

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the heads off today. The intakes were “super sealed” lol with two intake gaskets each with red rtv in between. more is better I guess was their motto. The cup’s definitely need replaced most are all cracked and some are near, if not in the fire ring. Other than that nothing jumps out. Neither had any cracks between valves and the cylinders look good here’s a few pictures. Next step is run them down to the machine shop by work. Also dropped off the injection pump and injectors off at the shop today to have them checked out. If I get time tomorrow I’m going to drop the oil pan and check the rest, but we’ll see. Gotta try and spread the gold plated pellets of fertilizer on the hay fields if weather cooperates.

Attachments

87cr250r

That engine looks fresh. I'm surprised you have no head cracks and the pre-cups are so bad. Is your pump turned up or something? Does this thing run petal to the metal all of the time?

I've moved on from head cracks. I'm convinced the head is relieved between the valves to cause it to crack there. The only real question now is whether to let them be or pin them. In either case I wouldn't junk heads over cracks.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a non runner from Yermo, so who knows really. take it for what it is but the odometer was 2,093 miles and tach says 1402hrs. Wether that’s correct or not who knows, but that’s a lot of idle or high idle time if it by chance was correct.

M1165A1

It is a non runner from Yermo, so who knows really. take it for what it is but the odometer was 2,093 miles and tach says 1402hrs. Wether that’s correct or not who knows, but that’s a lot of idle or high idle time if it by chance was correct.

That miles/hours discrepancy wouldn't be unusual if the truck had been equipped with a shelter and the engine was kept running for power.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s what my thoughts were, if it is correct. It did have the 200 amp umbilical going behind the passenger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks