• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 heads on 6.2 motor

kapnklug

So I just installed a set of new 6.5 heads from SSD on my '85 M1009 ($750, approx $900 shipped). Some things I noticed:
1. First, they fit with no big problems. They have a thicker flange around the exhaust ports, which moves each exhaust manifold maybe 1/4" further outboard; this was a little bit of an issue with the oil-supply line for my turbo (stock line from a '93 K3500), which no longer reached. On the plus side, that extra room eliminates the clearance problem many SS'ers have confronted when installing a turbo, between the exhaust manifold and the #4 & #6 injectors. There is now at least a 1/4" gap where before I had to space the manifold out with 2 exhaust gaskets & grind some off the injector-line nut. On the minus side, the turbo manifold is that much closer to the framerail, but still clears. Intake-manifold side is exactly the same.
2. The brackets over the valve covers, that support the injector lines, need extensions of 1/4"-1/2" to reach the injector line clamps. Tried to upload pix of this, but kept getting error message despite small file size. Anyway, I made some out of 16gauge strips. It's a no-brainer.
3. They're 5lbs heavier than the 6.2 head. I used a rolling shop crane to remove and install. Paint 'em BEFORE you put 'em on.
4. Truck runs about the same. I wasn't looking for a performance increase, just a repair with brand new parts.

scottladdy

What are you getting for compression now? Especially that #1 cylinder that took the brunt of the beating?

kapnklug

First off, my compression gauge is a cheapo, and I don't think very accurate as far as numbers go, but it is consistent.
#1 (damaged) cyl reads 200psi; all other cyls fall between 250-300 psi. I believe the spec is 400. But it runs fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks