• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 into a 1028

KevinsM1009

I have 2 6.5s one on stand("599" casting, A Dealer Diesel Reman from a junkyard) going into my 86 M1009 this summer, other in 94 Turbo Full size(Inj pump maybe shot..) Swap looks straight forward, blocks are essentially same animal, heads are the difference for volume. From looking at the seized "J" 6.2 still in the frame rails under 2-3' of snow, nothing is happening till after mud season.

I had turbo rebuilt @ WORK Turbochargers down south(took 4 days to do rebuild, all told 12 days from ship out to UPS Store Pickup near my residence, HIGHLY recommend. It seems that it will be a straight fit with the 94's exhaust system into the 86. The 94 has Torsion rod and shock IFS, A real joke by looks of it but for and $800 196,000mile truck can't complain. O am going to use the Mechanical Fuel system from the 6.2. I had a friend(Diesels' fuel Injection service here in Bow ,NH do the rebuild on the 86 "J" pump , turn it up for the 6.5 flow and get new turbo Short nose injectors. Going to full manual on all 8 Glows , Engine seized due to no $$$ to replace Glow Card, have 4-25 A 24-32 Vdc Dbl Pole/ Single throw Circuit Breakers in a single bank for manual plugs(Think I can count to 3-12 sec better than a whole bunch of failable, wire/circuit dependent controller modules.

Nice '28 in your photo, hope to get some 37's on the one ton axles from an 80 'dually donor truck to make it look as good. Did you do the bed yourself?? The whole swap really seems to depend upon what you're going to be keeping in the rig for the new "HeartBeat". I am staying as much mechanical as possible in my 86 for off gridness and simplicity,likely use a Turbo Master with hardwired gauges for dial in when everything is put together.

Check out both Diesel Page n Place for info..lots of it there. Last I'll say on it..MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR PM's AND HAVE THE MONEY TO COMPLETE THE SWAP, either with a new to you, fresh built 6.5..Apparently, some newer company has all the 6.5 production line and has made mods to the newer series to make it REALLY a reliable engine.

If I had it to do over, I'd buy a new out of crate and just drop it in..WAYYY too much work to check out a used ot junk one knows nothing about..If you can find a donor 6.5 in good shape(GOOD LUCK BUYING IT..) "in situ" so you know what it's baggage is, that would be very good..Well-maintained high mileage is the key..My 94 sat from 07 til 13 so 94-07 is 196,000 miles..not good to sit for so long or so high so quick with no knowledge of previous 3 owners...Good Luck keep th 6.3 running and healthy as long as possible while you gather EVERYTHING for the swap. If you decide It's Go...

Last edited by a moderator: