• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 L engine turbo?

Chagawaga

I landed me an M998A1 1995 today.
It has 6.5L engine.
My question is are all 6.5s turbo diesel? Is it upgradable? Is there speed difference? Over drive?
How do I know all that?
http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/860886?do=1

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a turbo you can add and most of the parts are on Flea-Bay or sold by site sponsoring vendors.

I do not know, but I suspect you need to upgrade your fuel injection pump.

Wire Fox

I landed me an M998A1 1995 today.
It has 6.5L engine.
My question is are all 6.5s turbo diesel? Is it upgradable? Is there speed difference? Over drive?
How do I know all that?
http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/860886?do=1
Your engine may be a 6.5L, but it is certainly not turbocharged. As standard equipment from the military throughout the years, there are basically four different engine setups you could have: 6.2L, 6.5L, 6.5L detuned to 6.2L power output, and 6.5L turbocharged. Looking at the way equipment is layed out on your engine, you have a 6.5L detuned engine. As well, looking at equipment for the transmission (oil pan, modulator link), you have the 3 speed, 3L80 transmission; however, as is appropriate for an A1, you do have the NP242 transfer case.

Your engine runs and it looks like you have all the major equipment in place! Enjoy that! Do all of your maintence checks and keep it all well-maintained!

Chagawaga

Your engine may be a 6.5L, but it is certainly not turbocharged. As standard equipment from the military throughout the years, there are basically four different engine setups you could have: 6.2L, 6.5L, 6.5L detuned to 6.2L power output, and 6.5L turbocharged. Looking at the way equipment is layed out on your engine, you have a 6.5L detuned engine. As well, looking at equipment for the transmission (oil pan, modulator link), you have the 3 speed, 3L80 transmission; however, as is appropriate for an A1, you do have the NP242 transfer case.

Your engine runs and it looks like you have all the major equipment in place! Enjoy that! Do all of your maintence checks and keep it all well-maintained!
Thank you wire fox for the extensive description. You seem very knowledgeable.
Can you tell me more about the transmission and transfer case? I have an existing humvee and I can tell it has 3 speeds by how slow it is lol
4 speed would be faster? Do they sell them?
Is it worth installing a turbocharger?
And lastly what maintenance should I do to it other than oils
PS still cant tell whats that A1 at the end

Wire Fox

You've really got a lot to read about. I'd highly suggest reading the Technical Manuals for the HMMWV (TMs). You can find most of them here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?119-Present-Conflict-Vehicles-TMs

Reading the Operator's Manual is going to be a must. It has maintenance intervals for when you should be completing various tasks, plus it tells you the various inspections you should do every time you go to operate the vehicle, what to observe as you operate, and post-operation tasks. If you want your HMMWV to run, run for a long time, and most importantly-not cause harm to you or someone else by literally having a wheel fall off or your vehicle catch fire, read it and follow the instructions. The unit maintenance and direct support maintenance manuals will tell you how to complete the tasks the operator's manual states must be completed.

For a new-to-me HMMWV that has an unknown maintenance history, I would consider these items mandatory service before going for your first drive in it: new engine oil and filter; clean air filter; new fuel filter element; inspect transmission fluid; inspect transfer case fluid; inspect/replace geared hub seals; replace geared hub oil; properly set spindle nuts with new spider lockwashers; inspect coolant level; inspect power steering fluid; inspect brake fluid; inspect all calipers and rotors; inspect all suspension components for cracks, excessive play, or loose fittings (check the torque with a torque wrench!); clean, inspect, tighten, and protect all major electrical connections (battery box, starter, alternator, engine harness) in order to avoid expensive electrical failure due to poor or loose connections-bad ground WILL destroy your expensive PCB/EESS/S3 box instantly; check battery fluid levels and top with distilled water only as necessary; charge and load test both batteries separately; and inspect your engine mounts. If you see any seal that's cracked or leaking, you'll need to replace it. I'm sure my list is not comprehensive, but the TM will be. If you want to see a list that Kascar put together (and to help make it obvious what kind of maintenance intervals you're looking at on a HMMWV), check this out: https://real4wd.com/maintenance/ At the very bottom, you'll see the breakdown of what maintenace group A, B, and C is. Do note that their list was written for a Hummer H1, which will be just a bit different than your HMMWV. Just to say it one last time, read the TMs-you'll be a sick HMMWV owner and operator and every one of your peers here will love you for it.

As for the 4 speed transmission, it will help you get a little bit faster, but I wouldn't recommend it for that purpose. It's really best for helping bring down your engine RPM during sustained highway use of 55-60 MPH operation. If you try and run your HMMWV at or over 70 MPH for anything longer than a couple minute sprint, you're very likely to harm the engine, as it will be running at very high RPM for that engine. You have to remember that the transfer case gears down the transmission's output, and then the geared hubs ALSO gear down that output even farther, which is what makes this truck that much slower than similar vehicles, but helps it be better off road. If you wanted to install one, prepare to spend ludicrous amounts of money or prepare to spend a significant amount of money and a whole lot of hours of your life under the HMMWV. Switching to the 4L80E transmission involves adding numerous sensors, switches, relays, a transmission computer, and a new wiring harness to your HMMWV in order to operate it. This is because the 4L80E is electronically controlled and the 3L80 was mechanically controlled.

I can't really speak about a turbocharger install, except that it requries a new exhaust, a different fuel injection pump, the turbocharger itself, and various other small components. I don't often see all the components for sale for any reasonable price. Most peoople that "install" a turbocharger actually just buy a complete, new driveline (engine, transmission, transfercase) that already has the turbocharger installed from the factory from a scrapyard, such as Southern Metals in South Carolina. It's still a very big job to take on.

As for that "A1" at the end, that's referring to the model revision. As far as I know, you have the original HMMWVs, the A1 series, and A2 series (which mostly had different model numbers), the ECV HMMWVs, and the REV HMMWVs. Each new version is just a collection of improvements made to the past model, built-in when originally delivered. The A1 is great balance of cost and performance, as it has an upgraded driveline with a stronger transfer case, propeller shafts (driveshafts), and CV axles (half shafts). There are also several other improvements made, but I really couldn't list them all... The A2 series' biggest improvement is having the 4L80E installed, standard, and a stronger frame. The ECV greatly improves the suspension and I believe universally has the turbodiesel-it was built to be uparmored or carry heavy shelters. I also believe it added improvements to the cooling stack. The REV has improvement that I'm the least familiar with. I know it switched to helical cut gears in the hubs (like the 2006 H1 Alpha), added stronger Wilwood brakes, and used a different spindle lock nut.

Last edited:

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both. In my opinion, the 4 speed drivability is greatly improved over the 3, for on road use anyway. Gets up and goes much faster off the block in addition to the higher top speed and lower RPMs.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think wire Fox is on point however I also think in order to understand your vehicle and things that go wrong, you should also be reading a lot of old posts on this bulletin board. You will read about things that frequently go wrong, and you will learned how to deal with them. You will also learn how to use the search function.

TM's are terrific, but learning how to apply them to common situations is invaluable. You will need both the TM's and some of the posts that utilize them in my humble opinion.

I am also very new here, and this is what I have been doing.

Best of luck,

T

Wire Fox

I think wire Fox is on point however I also think in order to understand your vehicle and things that go wrong, you should also be reading a lot of old posts on this bulletin board. You will read about things that frequently go wrong, and you will learned how to deal with them. You will also learn how to use the search function.

TM's are terrific, but learning how to apply them to common situations is invaluable. You will need both the TM's and some of the posts that utilize them in my humble opinion.

I am also very new here, and this is what I have been doing.

Best of luck,

T
I agree with this as well! The TMs are more explicit and more straight-forward-very much able to tell you exactly how to do a job and what jobs must be done. The posts on here range from anecdotal to indisposable. They reflect experience and just as you said: will indicate to you what commonly fails and potential easier/cheaper solutions to various problems-or just simply explain in a way easier to understand. Definitely suggest them both!

Gear Report

All the 6.5's are not turbo.
ohiohmmwv... pm me please. Tried to PM you about a part you have for sale, but the system said you inbox is full. :(
Sorry to hijack the thread. I'll delete this when I hear from Mr Ohio. :)

*edit: well crap. Can't figure out how to delete this now that Ohio has contacted me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks