• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Optimizer package question

Chadshell

New member and this may be covered in other posts, although I've been unable to isolate this question. I just received my m998 and it has the 6.2, I'm looking at purchasing a complete 6.5 NA, with 4 speed transmission and correct transfer case. Outside of the new crossmember needed, what other things should I be aware of? I've read where others spoke about new shafts, but was unclear if that was required or not. This is my first HMMWV, so any input from this wealth of knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Thesaint025

So I'm right there with you, there is absolutely a lot of confusion, but I think I have narrowed it down a bit. Thanks to the plethora of knowledge here, please note I have not completed this transplant myself and I am strictly lending my absolute opionion based on my own research just an idea of items to build off of!
1-6.5/4l80 body harness
2- drive shaft's front & rear (possibly yoks)
3-shifter
4-power steering lines (if yours where cut )
5- 6.5NA engine harness
lastly multiple sensors if any of yours are cut or damaged!
Your ground kit may work from the 6.2 and I hope you have trans and start control boxes!
Good luck!

Chadshell

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated! Now off to figure out this black smoke issue with the current 6.2. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I understand it is a fuel/air issue, so maybe try changing out the fuel filter? Air filter is new

Action

"Most common causes of black smoke are faulty injectors, a faulty injector pump, a bad air filter (causing not enough oxygen to be supplied), a bad EGR valve (causing the valves to clog) or even a bad turbocharger. Some of these are easy fixes."

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks