• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Turbo dying on rapid decel - PSA

Coonass77

I thought I'd post my experience in case it helps anyone else...

M1114 with 6.5 turbo would run start and run just fine, but if I'd rev it up and quickly get out of the throttle, it'd die instantly. Never had any trouble or even hesitation restarting. If I'd rev it up but slowly get out of the throttle, it'd continue running normally. Fresh fuel, new fuel filter and a HEAVY dose of injector cleaner with several hours of running/driving did not fix the issue. I figured some pretty invasive IP work was in my future. As a last resort, I drained 1/3-1/2 of the fuel out of the filter canister and filled it with ATF, idled it for about 15min, shut it off and just let her sit for a couple days. When I restarted her after a couple days, the dying on rapid decel was completely gone. The engine revs up and down perfectly smooth. That was over a week ago and every day I've gone out to start it and see if I can get it to die but the problem hasn't come back.

I was skeptical of the ATF fix that'd I'd read about online, but figured there was no harm in trying since I was likely going to have to tear into the IP anyway. Maybe I just got lucky, but thought I'd share just in case it helps anyone else having the same issue.

NOTE: Individual results may vary and no warranties, expressed or implied.... :p

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I'd post my experience in case it helps anyone else...

M1114 with 6.5 turbo would run start and run just fine, but if I'd rev it up and quickly get out of the throttle, it'd die instantly. Never had any trouble or even hesitation restarting. If I'd rev it up but slowly get out of the throttle, it'd continue running normally. Fresh fuel, new fuel filter and a HEAVY dose of injector cleaner with several hours of running/driving did not fix the issue. I figured some pretty invasive IP work was in my future. As a last resort, I drained 1/3-1/2 of the fuel out of the filter canister and filled it with ATF, idled it for about 15min, shut it off and just let her sit for a couple days. When I restarted her after a couple days, the dying on rapid decel was completely gone. The engine revs up and down perfectly smooth. That was over a week ago and every day I've gone out to start it and see if I can get it to die but the problem hasn't come back.

I was skeptical of the ATF fix that'd I'd read about online, but figured there was no harm in trying since I was likely going to have to tear into the IP anyway. Maybe I just got lucky, but thought I'd share just in case it helps anyone else having the same issue.

NOTE: Individual results may vary and no warranties, expressed or implied.... :p
More post like this...........

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That symptom is one of algae contamination, I would inspect the inside of the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter and observe the old…
I’ve had luck a time or two of adding Stanadyne fuel treatment directly to the fuel filter canister with 100% additive and it’s worked.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Confirm that you don’t have an algae problem, and if you don’t, this means your IP advance piston is sticking in the bore.

This is a super common issue in the 7.3/6.9idi world using the same Stanadyne DB2 injection pump, where the steel piston travels through an aluminum bore, todays ULSD exaggerates the wear rapidly and I’ve dealt with this same issue personally. I and many others have had great success with the above ATF fix, followed by keeping some kind of oil in the tank whether it’s 2 stroke oil, motor oil, atf, Lucas fuel additive (strictly a light lube oil) and the problem stays gone until you run a few tanks without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks