• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Turbo Exhaust

LT67

Does the exhaust pipe from a 6.5 turbo have to route outside of a CUCV frame or can it be routed inside the frame?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
K30 frame is narrower than later models. I think it HAS to be routed outside the frame unless your willing to make some weird bends. There's a clear path to put a pipe alongside the frame all the way to the back.

Photo from Clint Rutjes(5).jpg

Just found this pic of my friend's truck. From that pic it looks like you'd need 3 90 degree bends to run it inside the frame if it'll even fit. Plan is to put a Diamond Eye downpipe in and custom 4" all the way to the back (my plan anyway, that smokestack in the bed HAS to go! Just need to convince him...)

Barrman

Another concern inside the frame rail is heat transfer to the cab floor. The most common way I have seen is people make a flattened down pipe and do at least 1 inch cab lift. Otherwise, outside the frame is your only real option.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a video that shows one inside the frame rail. He used a Diamond Eye kit. He was supposed to make a video how he modified the pipe to fit but I don't think he ever did...

Kaiser67M715

I routed inside frame, 1 small indent to make sure I cleared the frame, it is definitely doable. factory heat sheild on passenger side still there. no body lift. 1997 6.5 Turbo with DB2 4911 mechanical pump, GM-8 Turbo...I thought I had more pictures, but thats the best and only one of the down pipe,
20180617_133321.jpg

LT67

I routed inside frame, 1 small indent to make sure I cleared the frame, it is definitely doable. factory heat sheild on passenger side still there. no body lift. 1997 6.5 Turbo with DB2 4911 mechanical pump, GM-8 Turbo...I thought I had more pictures, but thats the best and only one of the down pipe,
View attachment 828891
Thank you

What diameter pipe is that?

Kaiser67M715

3" downpipe. I used a couple 45, 90 and the 6.5 Diamond eye pipe to make it. Was time consuming, definitely need to make sure you can visualize how the bends are going together before you cut. attaching a few pics from the bottom side. Don't mind the oil, valve cover needs to be resealed, just haven't had the time.
20210319_115913.jpg20210319_115919.jpg20210319_115933.jpg

Ilikemtb999

I just started fitting a diamond eye downpipe inside the frame, started by cutting the rear flange area off about 4" from the end....then cutting where the bend that goes under the vehicle is....and it still wont fit in place so I'll be cutting a bit higher up probably above the frame area to get it to be closer to the engine side (with a pie cut or small bend).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks