• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 Turbo Oil Pan Damage

Hello!

The latest surprise is at the front of the oil pan near the crankshaft. There is a large crack in the pan and it looks like there are two chains inside. Recently changed the oil, the dipstick continues to show full, and it does not actively drip oil when stationary or cranking. The truck does not run yet.

Clearly the oil pan will need replaced. Is this a sign of larger damage? What could have caused this?

All insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

IMG_7228.jpeg
IMG_7227.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

The timing chain has gone amok, the crank pushed it through the bottom of the pan, you have some real serious engine damage as the cam is not turning so likely you have valve damage also at a BARE minimum.
It is not going to run.

Last edited:

Thank you both for the info.

Big yikes and very disappointing.

Is there anything worth analyzing before throwing in the towel and writing off the entire motor?

What would have caused this in the first place?

Thank you!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason the cam chain broke, when it balled up at the bottom of the pan the crankshaft sprocket pushed it through the pan.
That motor needs to come out, the Detroit is definitely an "interference" engine meaning if the cam gets out of time pistons will hit valves so on top of whatever caused the cam chain to break you probably have a bunch of bent valves, push rods and possibly damaged pistons.
It would be probably allot less work and expense to find a good pull out engine.

Agreed it is an interference engine and timing issues generally cause damage.

Reading other 6.5 diesel forums, some claim to get away unscathed after a broken chain.

Maybe it is denial, bargaining, and outright coping - but I think my next step will be pulling the chain cover to assess what really happened. Assuming repair of the chain / gears / etc is even possible it may be worth attempting. Worst case I waste the time pulling it apart, and maybe small parts if it appears feasible. If the motor is already blown it can't get worse?

Has anyone ever seen damage like this? @Retiredwarhorses

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed it is an interference engine and timing issues generally cause damage.

Reading other 6.5 diesel forums, some claim to get away unscathed after a broken chain.

Maybe it is denial, bargaining, and outright coping - but I think my next step will be pulling the chain cover to assess what really happened. Assuming repair of the chain / gears / etc is even possible it may be worth attempting. Worst case I waste the time pulling it apart, and maybe small parts if it appears feasible. If the motor is already blown it can't get worse?

Has anyone ever seen damage like this? @Retiredwarhorses
you have to pull the radiator stack anyway to pull the motor, so get the stack removed and pull the front of the motor and perform as much of an
RCA as possible, you can run the motor with the stack removed if you loop the trans and eng oil hoses…

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unlikely engine will spin even if chain is replaced.
No way it will spin without chain or Leroy gears.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks