• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 vs 6.5td worth it?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at getting another HMMWV. One has the 6.5, the other 6.5 turbo. Is there much to gained with the turbo vs all the extra parts/potential things that could
go wrong?

I’m looking for some thoughts from members here.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
depends on which version of truck with the turbo. Post 300000 serial numbers have the sheppard steering box and geared fan drive that are difficult/expensive to repair. Before that I don't think there is a huge difference between most of the truck.

I've got a 6.5 non turbo, and it does good enough for most stuff, but if given the choice I'd probably have a turbo truck just for the extra power and driving at altitude has less power derating.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am running the turbo in the 1123 and it runs good. My friends with no turbo say it moves faster and better. Honestly i don't see much difference as they claim but they swear to it.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, the biggest advantage is in the factory air conditioning with a turbo truck.
If I had found an excellent condition older model truck with Red Dot a/c and 6.5L NA GEP, then I would’ve also been happy.
YMMV

HUMMER H1

Here is my experience,

I have 1985 humvee with H1 turbo motor and 256 gears
I have M1123 without a turbo and 273 gears
I have ECV turbo with 308 gears

so far best all around performance is from non turbo M1123,

ECV is very fast up to 40 mph, then gears that give her that fast take off start to hurt her higher speed performance,

the 1985 humvee with h1 motor is slower than M1123 but on the highway it’s much easier, less RPM less noise,

M1123 is a sweet spot, it takes off fast and keeps RPM low enough to go over 60.

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

Here is my experience,

I have 1985 humvee with H1 turbo motor and 256 gears
I have M1123 without a turbo and 273 gears
I have ECV turbo with 308 gears

so far best all around performance is from non turbo M1123,

ECV is very fast up to 40 mph, then gears that give her that fast take off start to hurt her higher speed performance,

the 1985 humvee with h1 motor is slower than M1123 but on the highway it’s much easier, less RPM less noise,

M1123 is a sweet spot, it takes off fast and keeps RPM low enough to go over 60.
This is pretty interesting, makes me wonder how much better it'll be with the BMI turbo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks