• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L GEP - Black Smoke when accelerating

87cr250r

Just for clarity, advancing the timing is not the same as turning up the pump. Advancing the timing is done externally by loosening the 3 mounting studs for the pump and rotating the entire pump body.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don’t know very much about diesels but you’re inclined to believe having the wrong pump is ok? alrighty than….
Its not totally uncommon to see the wrong application pump in a hmmwv and it runs…my observation is that of a technical one, my shop would never install that pump on that engine…
No I 100% don't want the wrong pump in there. What I'm trying to assess is what is going to go wrong with having the wrong pump in there. Is this pump going to cause damage to the engine? Do I need to stop driving it NOW? Do I need to plan to replace it this summer, this fall, winter, next year, or? $1500 plus the labor is not going to kill me, but it's more then I currently have budgeted for this, as I THOUGHT the engine was just repaired. (Pictures show this is the pump that was on it before I had the head replaced, so the shop didn't screw me.. previous repair did.)

I've been looking for a pump, it appears price of the pump (with core) is right around $1500 everywhere I've looked. But I have no idea good vs bad places to buy the pump. Local place I called says they just rebuilt them, but since I have the wrong pump to start with that doesn't do me any good.

So any suggestions on where to get a new or rebuilt correct pump? I see lots of places advertising rebuilds, but have no idea if any of them are any good or even the right application. (Other then to ask for DB2831-5209/6278.)

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Along those lines... My truck, right pump, right injectors, right seatbelts. BUT at 2200 ft ASL it sort of would roll a little coal action and a bit more when getting up and going . Even more at upper elevations (to be expected). I didn't care for it that much. I turn the IP fuel delivery down a third of a turn. Test drive and cleared up the smoke. To tell you the truth.. ok a fib, it moves out quicker off the line, no more smoke screen when down shifted and passing hard at 52 MPH, Not that we are in a hurry to get somewhere.

California. They don't like smoke unless it smells funny, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would contact a Stanadyne shop and ask what the spec differences are in the pumps, they came out with different spec numbers all the time even for the same engine, they can tell you all about fuel delivery and timing.
The only real difference between the 6.2L and the 6.5L (detuned) is about .080" bore difference, and the later 6.5L models got a slight reduction in compression ratio trying to meet pollution standards.
As CAMO said if nothing else you can turn the fuel down a bit.
I doubt I would spend $1500 changing out a working IP (EDIT) unless research indicated it would have a deleterious effect on the engine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks