• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5l Oil Pan RTV Help

Custom Wired

Hello all this is my first post -

I have read where people have used only RTV and the rubber rear seal and everyone says it works great but not to over torque... What is meant by over torque? - do you still torque to spec or would that be over torquing?

I used a 1/4" bead all around and was a little more generous in the corners and around the rear rubber seal. I finger tightened and let sit for an hour and then torqued to 8 Newton meters on the 6 mm bolts and 15 Newton meters on the 8 mm bolts .. I know it calls for 10 and 23 - just don't want to " over torque "

Thanks everyone.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have read where people have used only RTV and the rubber rear seal and everyone says it works great but not to over torque... What is meant by over torque? - do you still torque to spec or would that be over torquing?

I used a 1/4" bead all around and was a little more generous in the corners and around the rear rubber seal. I finger tightened and let sit for an hour and then torqued to 8 Newton meters on the 6 mm bolts and 15 Newton meters on the 8 mm bolts .. I know it calls for 10 and 23 - just don't want to " over torque "

Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the SS forums!!
Go ahead and torque to specs, that is what they are for, so far it sounds like you are doing good!!!
Over torque means not using a torque wrench and over tightening them.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks everyone.
if the TM has a torque spec, why not torque to spec? I’ve replaced more OP than I want to admit…ive Never used a torque wrench, I use a 1/4 socket and one hand…it’s metal to metal, so once the bolt stops, you are lucky to get a 1/4 Turn on the bolt.
As the TM states, apply liberal amounts of RTV to the rear corners, the key to never having it leak it leak is make sure surfaces are clean and no oil, wipe down with brake cleaner, Liberal amounts of RTV on the front where the transition from block to aluminum timing gear housing.
after it’s done, let it sit 24hrs before adding oil.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something I learned from the application of RTV to the valve covers, apply the RTV on the engine side and not on the cover side. It may seem like splitting hairs, however when you apply on the engine side you’re guaranteed to get a complete seal with RTV where it is needed. When you add RTV to the cover side the RTV might be where you don’t want it and not provide a complete seal.
Much more important for valve covers, however I use this as a general rule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks