• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5L starter swap and possible 12v conversion questions

I've searched for this subject but have failed to find the info I need. If these questions have been answered in a previous thread I'd be grateful for links.
Over the last couple weeks I've been experiencing some issues in my M1010 with my starter (24v) not turning over every time, and with a shower of sparks from below it seems to finally have given up the ghost. Now I've got nothing when I hit the key (everything else seems to power up/work ok). I have a 12v starter from a 6.5L that has been tested and verified good. I've heard they will work but possibly need some sort of modifications to fit properly? If this is the case what mods need made to it? I have access to a couple of 12v 6.2L starters (but they're about a 2hr round trip to get) if I have to go that route, but I'd prefer to use the parts I have if possible. I need to get this on the road quick so ordering a new/rebuilding the old 24v starter is not an option. I'll be wiring the starter straight to the front battery temporarily, but I want to also know what the simplest reliable way to complete the 12v conversion would be. I've already eliminated the DUVAC box, and I'm running a 12v alternator on top straight to the front battery. Any help is greatly appreciated!