• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 cylinders and head gaskets

sermis

OK I have a M37 project. Motor was locked up so the head was pulled off. Lots of rust in the cylinder from a bad head gasket.
I also have a Willys wagon project. It would only try to run and was getting hot so I finaly pulled the head. Same thing. What is the deal with the 6 cylinder motoers and head gaskets?

Any eisy was to ger head bolts out of the block?

Attachments

acetomatoco

those long heads should be retorqued from time to time warm and then cold...most 50 year old head gaskets are not quite like they were when they were new.. Lots of threads from the 6 cyl dual head multifuel users talking of leaking head gaskets, too...not a unique problem... ACE

rdixiemiller

If they ever overheat and blow the head gasket, it needs to be resurfaced. The old steel shim gaskets also had a tendency to rust through over the years. The modern composite gaskets are much better at sealing than the older types.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I 2nd that, the newer head gaskets are much better. Just look at the differences in M35 gaskets-I could not imagine trying to install the ones with the metal flame ring thats separate! Definately worth upgrading if not just for ease of install and reliability. :wink:

Capt.Marion

apparently blowing headgaskets in these things is common. Mine is blown 'tween then #s 1 and 2 cylinders. Also, you should take your head (probably) to a machine shop and have it leveled off or planed or what ever you call it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks