• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 inch lift

appellandscaping

hey i had a hard time finding a lift for my m1008. when i told the guys the front springs were 3"wide they thought i was crazy so i orderd a 6" 3/4 ton lift off ntwonline.com they have good deals. i just got it finished about an hr ago.the only prob i ran into was the steering block studs i had to make my own out of grade 8 all thread. do you already have it lifted?

dunedigger

hey i had a hard time finding a lift for my m1008. when i told the guys the front springs were 3"wide they thought i was crazy so i orderd a 6" 3/4 ton lift off ntwonline.com they have good deals. i just got it finished about an hr ago.the only prob i ran into was the steering block studs i had to make my own out of grade 8 all thread. do you already have it lifted?

Lift springs are almost always narrower than stock, they send you wider bushings with them for the spring eyelets. What block studs did you modify? On the steering arm?

rockspider

....the only prob i ran into was the steering block studs i had to make my own out of grade 8 all thread....
DON'T ! :!::!::!::!::!:

What you made is very dangerous!

Steering lift blocks must be bolted on top of arm using correct lenght stud bolts, they are higher strenght than 8.8 !
And there's a reason they are not full thread, the stud smooth portion of body is stronger than a threaded bolt and has exact tolerance with the hole it is in.

I strongly discourage you to drive as it is now, the bolts can shear alltogether!

Moreover, plan on saving for a crossover conversion, that is one of the best mods to do to a solid axle GM truck, both for road feel and precision, and to follow much better articulation of suspension.

Croatan_Kid

I suppose I'll throw in my $2 worth....

I've got 4" HD Tuff Country springs up front with an ORD Zero Rate. That gives me 5" of lift, plus I moved the axle forward 1.5" to keep my 39s out of the back of the front fender. Even with all that, my front driveshaft is happily nestled in it's slip yoke and is nowhere near coming apart, the boot is a little stretched, but I am not worried about it.

The rear was a lot easier. I just went with a 3" block. Anything higher and I would have done a shackle flip or gotten new springs. You may be thinking: "5 in the front, 3 in the rear?!" Yes, and my truck sits exactly like I want it to. I think the front might be 1/2 - 3/4" higher than the rear, but I'm sure that the Cummins going in there will level it all out.

As for steering, might as well do crossover while you're lifting it. You will be glad you did! I'm adding hydro-assist to mine soon, if you ever wheel it with bigger tires, you'll find out quickly that you need it.

Chunk that sway-bar in the trash pile. You can't keep it with crossover anyway and if you use a set of quality HD springs (I highly recommend Tuff Country from ORD) you'll never notice that it's missing. I drive my truck almost daily and it handles just as good as my stock 1/2 ton Chevy with IFS.

This might be starting to sound like an advertisement for ORD, but they have great products....including their brake hoses. Amazing quality, they make them for many different applications, and they're the best bang for the buck! You can also get them for a rear disc brake swap, which is quite handy. Teflon inner bladder wrapped in Kevlar then covered with stainless steel braid and topped off with a clear plastic coating to protect it all!

This is actually a good time to be talking about this. ORD has a Christmas/New Years sale (or at least they did last year when I bought my stuff) and it really helps! Free shipping here and 10% off there adds up a lot when shipping heavy stuff like lift springs :-D

dunedigger

DON'T ! :!::!::!::!::!:

What you made is very dangerous!

Steering lift blocks must be bolted on top of arm using correct lenght stud bolts, they are higher strenght than 8.8 !
And there's a reason they are not full thread, the stud smooth portion of body is stronger than a threaded bolt and has exact tolerance with the hole it is in.

I strongly discourage you to drive as it is now, the bolts can shear alltogether!

Moreover, plan on saving for a crossover conversion, that is one of the best mods to do to a solid axle GM truck, both for road feel and precision, and to follow much better articulation of suspension.

I was thinking the same thing but I'm still not exactly sure what he modified. It sounded like the steering arm. I would not drive it either.

84cucv1ton

I suppose I'll throw in my $2 worth....

I've got 4" HD Tuff Country springs up front with an ORD Zero Rate. That gives me 5" of lift, plus I moved the axle forward 1.5" to keep my 39s out of the back of the front fender. Even with all that, my front driveshaft is happily nestled in it's slip yoke and is nowhere near coming apart, the boot is a little stretched, but I am not worried about it.

thats what i have, all grease able hardware. in the front rear shackle hanger and shackle from DIY4X. crossover from ord, if i did it again i would have bought nwf crossover.

in the rear i have a shackle flip. with a zero rate moved back. front drive shaft need work. since i changed the slip yoke 205 to a fixed yoke. i had a new rear shaft built.

some day i will be done

Croatan_Kid

I would have done a shackle flip, but for the cost I figured I would be ok with a 3" block.

I must have got a special front shaft or something because mine works just fine even with the axle moved forward.

I might be one one day too.....the 6.2/700R4/NP208 is fixing to come out in favor of a 6BT Cummins/NV4500/NP205 :-D I'm getting two new driveshafts built too.

allrevup

I don't think there is a true 6" 1Ton srings lift kit, 6" lift kits are for 1/2 and 3/4 ton. Superlift had a 5 1/2" maybe 6", I use BDS, about 5 1/2" front and rear spring lift (high quality and very well made not to mention their NO SMALL PRINT return policy, great ride and articulation, no drive angle vibration or wable with 36" tires could handle taller 37" with out rubbing. If I had to do it over again I probably call the guys at ORD they can acomotate almost anything you have in mind and are great to deal with.

Last edited:

allrevup

Yes , I know Tuff Country, Skyjacker, Warn, Superlift, Procomp & Rought country, HD and Soft ride, offerings fit and some are rated for the job. I have use then at one point or another and they are TOO STIFF or DO NOT articulate as well. Both of my present 1TON trucks are a BRAND smosgasborg of parts that work well together both on and off road. One more towards OFF the other towards ON ROAD. I feel BDS has the best spring set, but I have a lot of ORD components to make then work in their guiven application (Adjustable shocks, HD shakles and perches, fully greassable bushings, X-over steering,coustom steering gear box etc,etc... That is one of the many ways to make this trucks addept to your needs, and budget. A few weeks back ORD had a couple their Chevy projetcs suspention for sale, one was coil sring. Now that was one to consider but the reallity of the times prevailed.

Last edited:

AJMBLAZER

Yes , I know Tough Country, Skyjacker, Warn, Superlift, Procomp & Rought country, HD and Soft ride, offerings fit and some are rated for the job. I have use then at one point or another and they are TOO STIFF or DO NOT articulate as well. Both of my present 1TON trucks are a BRAND smosgasborg of parts that work well together both on and off road. One more towards OFF the other towards ON ROAD. I feel BDS has the best spring set, but I have a lot of ORD components to make then work in their guiven application (Adjustable shocks, HD shakles and perches, fully greassable bushings, X-over steering,coustom steering gear box etc,etc... That is one of the many ways to make this trucks addept to your needs, and budget. A few weeks back ORD had a couple their Chevy projetcs suspention for sale, one was coil sring. Now that was one to consider but the reallity of the times prevailed.
Huh, most folks like Tuff Country's stuff. Croatan and another member on here have run their HD stuff and liked it. It's pretty much the universal favorite over on CK5 and is what ORD sells. Eh, horses for courses I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks