• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

600 Gallon Fuel Tank

Earl_Beverly

I bought 4 of the aluminum 600 gallon fuel tanks from GSA/Forest service. They were used for water storage and have holes from corrosion and or electrolisys. Is there an easy fix? A cleaner and coating, or bladder for these tanks. Any help would be appreciated.

Earl_Beverly

Hi Phil and Wrekerman,
I really have need for the tanks. But, if I can't repair, I will keep you in mind on the lid.
I put in a blind bid with GSA and got these tanks. I never expected them to have the holes, rather that the valves, latches and such would need repair. I have used quite a bit of Brownells Acuglass epoxy with aluminum filings mixed in. That may be the answer. I have also considered a small wire feed welder.
Earl

stampy

Expoxy may expand differntly than the aluminum if there are large temperature swings. I would heliarc or braze with aluminum rod and a torch.

emr

I have one like new with the 24 volt pump and hose and nosel , yeesh cant spell that one,,, and black bucket that goes with a complete set for 1500.....A military hand pump goes with it too. ....fyi....

Last edited:

Bill W

If they are just pinholes I would coat the tank with Steel Flex#9XS made by Fasco ( see link )
I've used this product on my bilge cleaning truck which had a 400gal steel tank which I later replaced with a mil aluminum 600gal tank( I coated the bottom half of both tanks ) It is extremely durable and will hold up to oil and gasoline

Fasco unlimited

Last edited: