• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

65 Kaiser M35A2 project starts

Gunfreak25

Well got check valve back in booster pump. Plugged over pressure valve at filter head and put a thin washer in the overflow valve spring on the side of the hydraulic head. Pressure was 40 psi idle and I had to stop at 1500 rpm because pressure hit 75 psi. Took shim out, tested with no shim and back to the 0 psi drop once it hit about 50 psi. Tried a thinner shim and was able to hit 75 psi at 2500 rpm holding steady with ZERO surging….but as soon as it returns to idle pressure drops to zero slowly. Idled for 10 minutes to see if pressure would come back up and it tried to hit 10 psi but would drop to zero again. Only shutdown and restart would “reset” whatever is sticking.

So kinda closer to figuring this out but not really. My next hunches would be booster pump cavitation maybe, possibly the new brass sleeves in the synflex line being too small causing restrictions because they are much smaller in size than the OEM brass sleeves.

Im burned out on the truck, I don’t care to work on it or look at it for the first time since I bought it. This truck was a total basket case that I’ve tried to do my best on but she has the better of me right now. Lots of lost sleep, time with family and money. So I’m gonna take a break for awhile. If anyone has a booster pump for sale, I’d appreciate it. Thanks again to those who have helped with parts and advice.

Gunfreak25

Well a new morning brings new ideas, ditching the cheapie inline pump with proper military one. I couldn’t even get 1 psi from this one yesterday. I was given a military pump for free and it just needs a bottom plate which David Wymore has for me an hour from here. Now just have to find a hanger assembly.

Also ordered a Wix 24470 spin on head and 14 micron filter/water separator to replace the primary canister. Just to get rid of that silly o ring design and bring better filtration to the booster which I might replace too. Eastern surplus has them NOS for $145

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's all good you wanna take a break but I had enough java this morning to keep us both awake for a week.

How does the engine sound? Any rattle in the bottom end?

I often set my goals waaaaay too low and find that if I 'goaled' to build a truck to drive across the entire country......it would happen. ....eventually. You already set that goal so......it'll happen.

My motivation often came from my most capable mechanic, toolin' father. It's not the kind of motivation you'd think of.......

"It's just a truck son.....don't let it outsmart you".

Gunfreak25

It’s a strong engine, 60lbs oil at idle and makes next to zero blow by from the cap and slobbery tube! That’s great advice David, I’ll have to pass that one on to the kiddos

I’m picking up parts from local steel soldier David Wymore to install proper military fuel pump and he also has a used booster pump all really inexpensive. Course I’m still taking a “break” so no wrenching, just ordering stuffs.

how many early deucies you up to now Dave? I mean Canada Dave not my local Dave.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Part of the problem with the first truck is the part demand. We need parts so we start talking to guys with parts.......and maybe they have a spare engine around or a spare parts truck. When you arrive at their place to make an offer on an engine, you meet the wife and she says.....you can have the engine but you must take all 5 trucks that he collected too....all 5 trucks....You just wanted an engine, Then you meet up with an old buddy and he wants a snowmobile. You happen to have a snowmobile but you live in Yuma....... having a snowmobile makes no sense at all.......so you trade him for 3 trucks........3 more trucks. Then the MVPA finds out you collect trucks and the next 'free' truck that someone wants to get rid of also shows up. That's 10. In order of delivery, Goose, George, Gracie, Larry, Curly, Moore, the 2 parts trucks, the burnt parts truck and Piglet. Ten trucks over two years and only $10,600.00 spent, plus the snowmobile....we don't miss that.

PA170281.JPG

All I wanted was one truck and some spare parts. Watch out for that because that's how they get you. The trucks see you coming and let off a pheromone. You've smelt it.......we've all smelt it.

graflet.jpgm135 fleet.jpg

I did the first air show with Goose and it was so fun i thought about a 'new goal'......It'd be real cool if I could get 3 trucks to an airshow. Setting massive goals and dreams seems ridiculous......but I should have dreamed for 10 trucks at the airshow. A couple of buddies worked real hard to make it a three truck show and it turned out I didn't need to pay for 'all of that goal'.

P8060556.JPGP8060495.JPG2015 trucks farm sec 387.jpg

One of the best parts was keeping the trucks long enough to get them into some solid hands. Moore the M211 got a 2007 Duramax and went back to the area it served for the military at the Penhold Alberta bunker. George and Gracie were bought by brothers with Gracie serving as a family camper and George going back home to Medicine Hat area where it served at the Suffield military base. Three cabs were bought by a buddy for a triple cab camping truck and .....his 6 children.....6 children. I did a little photoshop work to motivate him. You'll need more kids for this truck.

plowshare.jpg

Even when we want to take a break, there's just something there that keeps us busting our knuckles to keep the trucks going.......eh?

farm 15 020.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Part of the problem with the first truck is the part demand. We need parts so we start talking to guys with parts.......and maybe they have a spare engine around or a spare parts truck. When you arrive at their place to make an offer on an engine, you meet the wife and she says.....you can have the engine but you must take all 5 trucks that he collected too....all 5 trucks....You just wanted an engine, Then you meet up with an old buddy and he wants a snowmobile. You happen to have a snowmobile but you live in Yuma....... having a snowmobile makes no sense at all.......so you trade him for 3 trucks........3 more trucks. Then the MVPA finds out you collect trucks and the next 'free' truck that someone wants to get rid of also shows up. That's 10. In order of delivery, Goose, George, Gracie, Larry, Curly, Moore, the 2 parts trucks, the burnt parts truck and Piglet. Ten trucks over two years and only $10,600.00 spent, plus the snowmobile....we don't miss that.

View attachment 843565

All I wanted was one truck and some spare parts. Watch out for that because that's how they get you. The trucks see you coming and let off a pheromone. You've smelt it.......we've all smelt it.

View attachment 843571View attachment 843581

I did the first air show with Goose and it was so fun i thought about a 'new goal'......It'd be real cool if I could get 3 trucks to an airshow. Setting massive goals and dreams seems ridiculous......but I should have dreamed for 10 trucks at the airshow. A couple of buddies worked real hard to make it a three truck show and it turned out I didn't need to pay for 'all of that goal'.

View attachment 843563View attachment 843562View attachment 843564

One of the best parts was keeping the trucks long enough to get them into some solid hands. Moore the M211 got a 2007 Duramax and went back to the area it served for the military at the Penhold Alberta bunker. George and Gracie were bought by brothers with Gracie serving as a family camper and George going back home to Medicine Hat area where it served at the Suffield military base. Three cabs were bought by a buddy for a triple cab camping truck and .....his 6 children.....6 children. I did a little photoshop work to motivate him. You'll need more kids for this truck.

View attachment 843584

Even when we want to take a break, there's just something there that keeps us busting our knuckles to keep the trucks going.......eh?

View attachment 843570
That is just sooooo neat. Most of the little puppies that followed you home seem to be part of the same family. Makes it a little easier I suppose - especially when you need a few parts. The babies out there in the field all huddled together look so cute. Yeah, I know. Big trucks can't be cute but is definitely makes you smile from ear to ear!

The photoshop truck is neat. I saw a 939 series with "second row seating". I was amazed. Sadly the guy that has it started the project and a lot of things changed and so it sits. Slowly weathering away.

I really enjoyed the read. Thanks m1010plowboy . Made my morning!

Gunfreak25

That's craziness Dave! Not the sheer amount of vehicles you have but the AVAILABILITY of so much green gold. Stuff is so scarce down here, water and anything old and cool. I've got the room, I would love to add a early Jimmy again.......I just felt a disturbance in the force......she couldn't have heard me. Good thing she has no idea how to access this forum or posts....that last photo of the tatertot over the fender, either you got shorter or decided you needed more people like you in the world was a good idea again? Looks about 5 or 6 years old, I know it's been awhile since we last connected on any real life changing details?!

I'm itching to get back to work on it with my fresh ideas but i'm going to wait until I have more parts and stuff completed first.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Rebuilt the newer used booster pump with AMBAC kit today, installed and got 30 psi idle and 70 at 2500 rpm, she is fixed! It’s hard to say whether the better condition booster fixed it or just having the proper seals in the check valve assembly. Wife held RPMS for me while I watched the gauge and it returned to idle with 30 psi like it should. No weird pressure losses.
Got late on me but tomorrow should be the first proper full speed run down highway 95

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Rebuilt the newer used booster pump with AMBAC kit today, installed and got 30 psi idle and 70 at 2500 rpm, she is fixed! It’s hard to say whether the better condition booster fixed it or just having the proper seals in the check valve assembly. Wife held RPMS for me while I watched the gauge and it returned to idle with 30 psi like it should. No weird pressure losses.
Got late on me but tomorrow should be the first proper full speed run down highway 95
That's great news!
Sure is nice when something gets fixed without having to fix something else as a part of the process.
Even better that your "Soldier 2" (WIC aka Wife In Charge) was willing to come out and help...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did that truck get a 'Simple Green" bath yet? I'm really good with washing and detailing so if you don't get it done that's ok.....I can get it on my next visit.

The nephews make me detail the engines so they're spotless. They don't want to get their white clothes dirty when they PM it and they claim it's easier to watch for leaks. I say the trucks happier and it keeps the engine cooler......but they just tell me to keep washing.

It's possible that you are near the last generation that will have the opportunity to 'save' these trucks for road operation. We likely need the kids involved to keep MV's on the road in our new electric age of ridiculousness.........

P6161114.JPG

Gunfreak25

She is officially back in service. Turn signals quit on me and picked up a nice nail in a rear tire. Besides that, runs like a top. That feeling of accomplishment has been worth every cent and drop of blood. Still 112 degrees out so I cooked my face. Gonna wait a few days to take her back out….

Attachments

Gunfreak25

Dave, I already did the dirt mud grease cake rolling on the ground while inebriated with a gas pressure washer wand...cleaning thing. But I didn't get any detergent or degreaser on anything yet. A steam or hot washer would be the shiiit. Are you a licensed simple green applicator? I may require assistance and my uncle has 2 acres just outside of town. Wanted to drive to his place with a cooler, pressure washer, a gas can and have a field day cleaning. He has a CCKW with a bunch of 270 GMC parts sitting on pallets that need attention. What he really needs is a forklift and time.....Coca Cola Corporate has ate up most of his time for the last 32 years.

Some AZ laws have changed regarding the legality of some things, we'd love to have you.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll just bet you're missing bolts. I thought I could find a quick pic or schematic but ended up getting lost in the manuals. Did you know Rustystud put an airpak repair manual up? That was exciting getting in here but I didn't find the details. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/tms-for-the-deuce.77607/

Goose has springs and bolts in every hole but we also have a 4x4 between the steel so......that's why I was looking for the spec.

What I'd really like is a ride along video but I'm not going anywhere with no bolts in your box.....lol.

Gunfreak25

I was able to find a TM pic and it is indeed missing all middle bolts. It does have the front bolts with 4 springs and the rearmost. So they’re 3/4 fine thread about 3 inches long. Sounds like $7 a bolt to me. 🤔

dave you still have those pictures of the cloud museum when we went to bard? In case you need a refresher it was all the model A and rusty gold stuff. It’s all still there! Come down and work on your real AZ tan, the weather will be much better in a couple weeks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks