• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'66 Kaiser Jeep M109A3 Multifuel Oil Problems

KaiserM109

My ’66 Kaiser Jeep deuce is safely in storage and waiting on papers. I have a problem with engine oil that I need to get sorted out. In general I am real happy with my purchase, even if this issue gets deep.

Before I go into the oil problem, just a quick status report. The missing blackout curtain on the left front turned out to be in the frame of the back left. There is minor damage to the left front fender and a slight bend to the left end of the bumper. The floor in the back in not warped, as was speculated from one of the pictures, the track that holds the weather strip is badly bent. The original planking must be in bad shape because 5/8” plywood has been screwed down over it. All 24 volt lights work, except the right rear running light. I haven’t figured out how to hook up the 115 volt circuit, except I do know there are no fuses in the fuse box. The exhaust that was thought to be missing comes out on the right side between the axles. I had to add a universal window crank (a vice grip) on the passenger door. All glass is 100%, even the glass in the van. There is almost no rust, even on the underside of the cab. Something is missing on the right panel that holds the right headlight and electric horn because it shakes. The air pressure buzzer works, after I hooked it back up, but neither the electric or air horns work. The seats are in excellent condition (if that is how you can characterize army canvas cushions). It has manual steering which has to change! My shoulders were sore for almost a week.

In summary, it is better than I expected. I knew going in that it was built sometime from ’65 to ’70. It is the best condition 41 year old truck I have ever crawled under!

Here’s how the oil problem goes: I got rushed in the sales yard at Ft. Riley because I had to modify the pintle hook to match the pintle eye that I was going to use to pull my ‘69 Bronco home. I checked the engine oil in the yard and radiator fluid before starting it. Both were okay. I performed a brake test twice in the yard and slid all wheels in the gravel with half a pedal of travel. I got off post and found a space in a shopping center and crawled under it to check all fluids. Everything was good and there was nothing out of the ordinary, in particular no visible oil leaks after 15 mi. of driving.

I drove 50 mi. and felt everything was good, so I decided it was time to pull the drive shaft out of the Bronco so that I wasn’t spinning the transfer case on it. I did a down on the knees inspection of the deuce and didn’t see any problem. The oil level on the dip stick was normal.

I drove the rest of the 485 mi. with no incidents, no unusual noises, etc. I pulled up in front of my house at 9:00 AM and proceeded to unhook the Bronco. The deuce was spilling enough oil from the bell housing to leave an 8” puddle if a couple of minutes. I checked the oil level in the engine according to the instructions on the stick and it was 2 qt. HIGH! I checked the level in the transmission to see if it was contributing to the mess, but it was still about ¼ inch below the inspection port.

I put the truck into storage (about 20 miles of driving) and began searching this web sight for info about related matters and focused attention on the Fuel Density Compensator (FDC). During the drive I paid attention to how the clutch felt. It will fully engage, but if you ‘drop’ the clutch it sort of ‘slides’ into fully engagement. That worries me that the disk might be contaminated with oil.

I stopped by the truck yesterday on my way to meet the family for dinner out and took pictures of the FDC which is NOT bypassed. I went back to the truck today and began looking it over. We started the engine and let it run for 5 minutes; it sounded good, blew a little gray smoke. We shut it off and checked the oil level: 2 qt. LOW! All oil checks were done on level ground, so that’s not a factor.

I wiped the oil off to determine where it could be coming from. The back of the oil pan is wet and so is the bottom of the bell housing. I opened up the inspection port and found that the back of the pressure plate is dry and the flywheel seems dry, but the throwout bearing is wet and dripping as is the front of the transmission. In our haste, though, we didn’t check the transmission level again because we were distracted by the change in the dipstick level.

I checked the bolts on the oil pan for tightness, but couldn’t move them tighter with about 30# of torque. I didn’t mess with that any further because it doesn’t look like the problem. The only other possible source appears to be the clutch housing.

You can see in the picture that there are 2 threaded holes on the bottom of the clutch housing for a plug to go into. One hole is centered and goes all the way through and the flywheel is right there. The other is off to the right a little and bottoms out. The plug was in the second hole when I got the truck. We have been speculating why the second hole and we have decided that it is simply a place to keep the plug when you don’t want it in the main hole.

If anyone knows about this plug, I would sure like to hear about it.

Speculation:
The 2 reasons that we can see for driving w/o the plug in the main hole would be if you just forded water and want to make sure the clutch is dry. The other reason might be if there is oil in the housing and you don’t want it to build up. We are speculating that someone in servicing the truck saw the oil leak and left the plug out for that reason. The oil build up inside the housing indicates that it has been going on for a while. See the picture of the inspection plate.

About the plus or minus 2 quarts, we are speculating that there may be a problem with the FDC leaking into the crankcase. I found out on my odyssey from Ft. Riley that diesel fuel foams up easily. My thought is that if I have a serious amount of diesel in the oil it might foam. Does that sound plausible to anyone?

Here are pictures of the bottom side of the Green Pig:

Attachments

jasonjc

RE:

The plug IS, in the place it should be. You move it to the other hole when you go thought deep water to keep the water out. On the oil its hard to say, if you wait too long after shutting the eng off, all the oil will drain out of the filters. To soon and it will all still be up in the filters. If checked cold it should be 2-3 qt over full. Does the oil smell or taste like fule???

KaiserM109

RE:

The time that we checked it and it was high might have been 10 minutes after it was shut off and when we checked it today it was right after it was shut off. That might explain it. That would mean that it really is 2 qt. low and I should ignore the high reading. Thanks.

About the plug, interesting and thanks.

A question I ment to ask is if I do need to replace the rear main seal on the engine, can it be done without either pulling the engine or dropping the crankshaft? I replaced one once on the Bronco with a 2 piece seal that tapped into place on the top so that all I had to take loose was the oil pan and the rear main.

How heavy is that transmission? It doesn't look much bigger than an NP-435 or a T-18 and I can handle those alright with the right kind of jack. This one must be heavier duty and has 5 instead of 4 gears, so I would expect some more weight. I am considering what it will take to replace the front seal on the transmission.

Some of the other seals are starting to 'weep', so I expect that age has gotten to them. One nuckle boot has a split zipper, so that will need help too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE:

You should check the oil 1 minute after shutdown and when checking, do not screw the dipstick in. It is graduated for that method. As far as the rear main, its a 1 piece and you won't need to disturb the crank or pan at all. I would venture to say the tranny is between 125 and 150#. Doing it with a tranny jack is a pain to me. I use and engine crane right through the drivers door and sit it on the ground then slide it out. Also, there is no front seal on the tranny. The optional fording kit pressurizes the bellhousing ( thats what the plug is for) with air and that subsequently pressurizes the tranny. In order for this to work right, you need the rubber shift boot in place so that the extra air can escape but not bleed down as it would without the boot. Clear as mud right? If anything is unclear, just ask, we're just here to help.

acetomatoco

RE:

All that exercise just made the rear main mad and it let some of the oil out to play...I remember the same thing happening to a 4000 miles truck I got at Tobyhanna...ran like a scream until I went uphill and the clutch slipped like a bugger...Mass to Plattsburgh VT non stop...was a gallon low when I got there...filled her up and the leak was minimal from that time on and the clutch fixed herself...and the new owner was happy.. A lot of the trucks will have the bell housing fording plug in the glove box with a tag.. saying not to install except in fording conditions and to remove and replace in glove box immediatlely thereafter..

devilman96

RE:

Pull an oil sample off the engine and send it in for analyses... That will confirm or deny your FDC leak. If you need one I sell them here... http://odiron.com/store/index.php?cPath=16

As for the rear main... Like Kenny said engine crane, engine hoist... Whatever one calls them... A jack is about the worst thing one could use to try and pull the tranny... Out is ok... back in is a nightmare. The rear main is easy... Drill a small hole in the outer lip and use a slide hammer to pull it out of its place. Its half worth it to change the pilot and throw out while your there for the sake of argument.

Seals else where are easy... You have one output seal in the transmission... If your being picky while the tranny is out also do the both front transfer case seals, on the top one you have to pull the bolted on cover, don't try and yank it from the outside like the others. (ask me how I know this lol). Otherwise, pinion seals in the front while the drive shaft is half out... It just depends on how picky you want to be... These trucks can leak everywhere and most do but rarely does it cause an issue.

KaiserM109

RE:

Great! I think what I will do is change the oil and filters (good to do no matter what), bypass the FDC because I don't intend to run anything but diesel, and steam clean the whole thing. The clutch isn't bad enough to sweat, unless it gets worse. The only thing is by next summer I want the truck ready for some moderate off-roading and I want to make sure that the clutch isn't going to leave me stuck in a hole behind Electric Mountain.

As for seals, it looks like I have some poor ones on the FDC and governor. At some point I want a non leaking truck, but for the near future I am only going to worry about the ones that cause problems. Xmission jack is out, engine lift is in.

I take it that the back of the crankshaft doesn't have a flange, like a Ford 302 does. If-and-when I get that far I will need torque spec's on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. I have been looking through the TM section and I'm betting it is there. I already found out a lot about the FDC from cruising this web site. I really appeciate the SEARCH function!!

Well, today's our 35th wedding anniversary and we're going to lunch and make plans with daughter and almost-son-in-law how we are going to get her Jeep ('70 Commando) reassembled after a complete teardown and my '83 J20 that is in a similar state reassembled. We have a serious budget to deal with because I'm still not working after my job went to India.

Thanks for the help and advice so far.

billymac61

RE:

When I bought my duece and drove it home 200 miles the same thing happened. My clutch also was slipping due to the oil. Bought a new rear main seal. Before I had a chance to install it, was driving it heard a pop. Had a mud dobbers nest in the crankcase breather tube which had blown out, hence the popping noise. Crankcase quit building up pressure forcing oil out rear main seal. Thats was a year ago, no leaks and clutch fine. Might be worth a quick check before proceeding.

KaiserM109

billymac61, will do as soon as I find the crankcase breather. I have LOTS to learn and I think this web site has a lot to teach me. I think that the leak started in the last 100 or so miles, so a plugged breather could explain it.

HAAA HAA Haa haa ha!!!
I said that about my Bronco a couple of years ago and I think I will get there someday. My only worry is that the first seal I changed will wear out before I get to the last one.

The thing about OD equipment is it really was designed to be sealed up. An example is the oil pan. On the deuce there is a serious clamp around the pan that takes in excess of 30# of torque on each bolt. On my Ford 302 you shouldn't put more than 15# on them and after a couple of years it starts to seep and then drip.

devilman96, I have your web site bookmarked. I never pass an easy opportunity to replace a pilot bearing/bushing, throwout or even clutch disk.

DeuceDale

Hey, I was about to post a similar question about a leak on my deuce, so I'm reading this one with interest. The leak on my truck is definitely gear oil, I'd know that smell anywhere, and it has recently got quite abit worse, its gone from "oh look, its marking its territory" to just making a mess every where I park. Its so hard to judge the amount that it leaks but it leaves a 10-12" dia. puddle if I drive it 15 miles or more.

Recovry4x4, you say that there is no seal on the input shaft of the transmission, so what keeps the fluid in? gravity and the bearing? A little leak is fine with me, but this seems excessive.

Any help would be appreciated,

Dale

DeuceDale

The oil is coming out of the hole in the bottom of the bell housing, I haven't pulled the inspection plate off to have a look yet.

I've put close to 800 miles on it and its gotten quite abit worse in the last 150 miles or so, I'm wondering what has changed, if there is no seal to leak, then what? How do I fix it, or at least slow it down? Put the plug in and drain it every 50 miles? :lol:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my trucks leaked pretty bad out the trans. input shaft. I changed the oil and kept the level about an inch below the fill hole. It has not leaked badly since. It was puddling when I stopped before. It now is just damp with oil under the bell housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks