• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

67 Deuce dies when i hit 4th gear

WONKA

PLEASE HELP. **NEWBIE** First time posting

I just got my first 1967 M35A2 w/ 89 retrofit , hauled it from north tx to tyler tx. then went to drive it and only made it about 3 miles then it died. got it to crank back up then died again after about 30ft. same thing over and over. once i pulled it back to the shop it would run no problem but every time i got it up in speed it would choke.

I figure i would go ahead and change all fluids and filters and found that the filters were pretty bad and it had 15 Galons of oil in it. changed all three fuel filters and the oil filters and fluid.

Went down the road after all that was done and SAME THING. once i hit about 30mph it acted like it was starving for fuel. Cranked it back up and drove it in 2nd gear the whole way back no problem.

Any Ideas?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you looked in the fuel tank to make sure the filters didn't get plugged up again? Have you taken the air filter out and driven it?

WONKA

yes air filter was out when i drove it last night, and tank looked clean. but i am going to clean it all the way out tonight and put fresh diesel in it.

gimpyrobb

Might try blowing compressed air through the lines too. Let us know what happens!

Edit, while in there, chack to see if the in-tank pump is working. Sometimes the bottom falls off the pump and it might make noise, but can't pump fuel.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the fuel supply (and return) lines all the way. Look for places where the lines are crushed or flattened. There is a crossover in the area of the radiator where this appears to happen quite frequently.
Other than that, I second blowing the lines through with compressed air.
Drain the tank and check for gunk. Did you fill up the tank or was it leftover fuel from who-knows?
Also take out, clean and check the in-tank fuel pump while you are at it (not because it is high on the culprit list, but because, if there is gunk in the fuel system, the screen and pump need to be cleaned as well

Check the fuel filters again and change them (you have a primary and two secondaries), if there is evidence of gunk.

Switch on the accessory switch, hear the in-tank pump run and bleed the fuel lines via the pet cocks on the filters, starting at the primary. You want to see fuel squirting out at a "good" pressure (that is your redneck fuel system pressure test).

If all of that is satisfactory, and the truck still starves of fuel, we can take it further.

Last edited:

WONKA

i just pulled the pickup and left the wires pluged in and unhooked the fuel lines turned the acc. on and motors did not kick in but it crancked up. i took it all the way out and here is what i found.

a what used to be clear in line fuel filter filled with gunk, and the botom of the tank full with gunk.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Don't forget the rubber hose on the in-tank pump......if it is rotted or is collapsing when fuel is being sucked through it that could be your issue.

The bottom plate is also bad to come off of the in-tank pump....some were press fitted into the housing and could pop out.

This allows the impellor to fall out and slows down fuel supply.

I have done a mod on several of them where I fastened them in with a small self tapping metal screw after drilling a pilot hole.

I highly reccommend draining the tank from the bottom and pouring 20 gallons of gasoline in there to dissove crud in the tank (there are baffles in there so you can't see inside the whole tank).

You can later filter the gas and use it to run the deuce by mixing it with diesel or Used Motor Oil.

Good luck.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn,t that guy on pass time from Tyler Texas? Maybe Texas Chassis Works can hook you up. :smile: Seriously though if the in tank pump is not working you could have a blown fuse on the pump. Take off that small cover on top of the fuel pump and check the 3 amp fuse. A clog in the pump could have blown the fuse.

panshark

Is one of them hoses cut, in the first picture? I would venture that if you have a bad hose on your in-tank assembly, you can run ok on a full tank of gas, until you get down to the level of the break, and then the truck starts...running out of gas.

gimpyrobb

That Looks to be your problem! I would pressure wash the tank out while you are this far. That pump could supply the 5-7psi you are supposed to have, not sure about volume though. I have new stock pumps if you want one. Someone on ebay has Pumps that should work just fine for $50.
Not sure I would trust a couple 12v pumps in my tank like that.

RDUKW

That is a scary looking set up! One I don't think those are submersible pumps. Two the wiring connections are definitely not safe to submerse in fuel. Three those pumps are 12 volt and you are feeding them with 24 volt (assuming your truck is still wired stock). I would scrap that set up and either put a o.e.m. pump back in or there is some aftermarket pump kits designed for these trucks.

Ryan

WONKA

The fuse was blown and when i swaped it i hooked the wires back up and when i turned the acc. on they smoked more than an old ford and blew the fuse

DieselBob

Excuse me but[FONT=helvetica, arial],
Well I've been to one world fair a picnic and a rodeo and that's the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

You are most likely starved for fuel because of the lack of volume. The TM says any pressure above 4psi is good. Assuming the pumps you have there are even working the hose connecting the pumps to each other is to small. That lawn mower gas filter in the 3rd pic can't come close to flowing the fuel your engine needs, even if it where clean. The stock pump is really made for a large volume of fuel at a low pressure. There is a reason that they use 1/2 hose and connectors on the stock pump and connecting hose and fittings. [/FONT]2cents