• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

67 Kaiser-Jeep M35 repowered

KD5JPB

Hello all, Terry here, I've found a 67 Kaiser-Jeep that has been repowered with Detroit Diesel by Memphis Equipment somewhere around 30 years ago. Does anyone have any experience with a conversion like this? Thanks

jamawieb

I've never seen it before but if Memphis did the work, I would buy it (if the price is right). I live about an hour away from Memhis Equipment and everything I've seen come from there is top notch.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, we need pics. Is it a two stroke Detroit? How many cylinders? inline or "V"?

KD5JPB

Actually, been trying to get photos from phone to email to site.........about to employ my skeet thrower!!! It has a 4-53 inline 4 cyl. I was also told (by person at Memphis Equipt.) that the transmission and transfer case as well as the springs were upgraded as well. The springs are much heavier than a normal Deuce.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd stay away from it if it has a 4-53. I think they are less than 100hp max. That makes a multifuel look like a powerhouse.

I honestly can't believe Memphis would put such a small engine in a deuce. Are you sure it's a 4-53?

KD5JPB

I will post some photos tonight when I get in from work. The guy from Memphis Equipt. said that they repowered them with 4-53s and 4-71s. He described a couple of distinguishing features and it seems to match. I looked up the model number on the MTU website and it's a 4-53, inline 4 cyl, turbocharged, industrial engine.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of those same engines in a GMC truck currently, and I LOVE that engine! It puts out much more than 100hp, closer to 150hp, and should do just fine in your Deuce.

DO NOT USE MULTI-GRADE OIL IN THAT DETROIT!!! That will cause scoring on your pistons & liners; use only DETERGENT-TYPE low-ash single-grade 40wt (or 30wt if you have cold winters) oil, such as Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo. The old 2-stroke diesels love to rev, they are very efficient & are good on mileage if driven properly. They do NOT like to idle for long periods of time, as that will cause the top of the piston to overheat. When working under load, they keep pretty cool due to their design.

I love my old 4-53T industrial engine! Good score!

When temperatures drop below 40-degrees F, I use 2 magnetic block heaters to keep the engine warm & ready to fire...they work great. A frost plug wouldn't hurt either, for me the magnetic block heaters are inexpensive & work great in the rare times of very cold weather.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thing is pretty rough. It's got gasser fenders but it looks like it's got a multifuel dash (Memphis may have changed that out).

KD5JPB

Folks, I'm gonna pass on this one. I think it is more work than I can take on right now. If anyone is interested I can put in contact with the owner. Thanks to all for the insight and advise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks