• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

68 years new... Hello all from the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Rolls Canardly

Just recently purchased a 1951 Dodge M-37 and loving it!
This beauty needs a lot of help, but with the right assist from the Troops it is more than possible.

Looking it over there is no rust damage anywhere. Hard to believe.
In the boxes of parts is a brand new distributor.
Bought new plugs and wires so getting it running will not be that difficult, hopefully.

Turned crank with a socket, and noticed there are dogs for a hand crank;
(MY first official question,) is that a scarce item - or readily available?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just recently purchased a 1951 Dodge M-37 and loving it!
This beauty needs a lot of help, but with the right assist from the Troops it is more than possible.

Looking it over there is no rust damage anywhere. Hard to believe.
In the boxes of parts is a brand new distributor.
Bought new plugs and wires so getting it running will not be that difficult, hopefully.

Turned crank with a socket, and noticed there are dogs for a hand crank;
(MY first official question,) is that a scarce item - or readily available?
Welcome to the group! We love pictures... Snap up a few and use the "ATTACH FILES" paperclip to add them to a post and show off your new project. If you haven't already done it, pull down the TM's (Technical Manuals) for your M37. The -10 book is the light weight "owner/operator" version. To find the answer for your hand crank, the -24 TM is where parts are listed. If you can find a part number searching on the web becomes much easier...

If your truck hasn't been cranked in a long time, it might be worth removing the plugs and giving each cylinder a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit overnight. MMO will cause you to blow out white smoke when it cranks - but a little lubrication in there would be a good thing. The white smoke will dissipate after about five or ten minutes of running at idle. The hand turning with a socket wrench like you have already done is a good plan again after sitting overnight with MMO on top of the pistons.

Again - Welcome to the wonderful world of green!

Rolls Canardly

Thanks for the welcome.
I already took plugs out, took a manual oil can with a 1' flex end, and put a squirt of 30 wt. oil in each cyl. and spun it around several cranks by hand. I replaced with the new plugs, and next step is to put on TDC #1 cyl. and yank the old distributor from 1951, and replace it with the brand new, in the bag, distributor. I really don't know why previous owner bought it, the original looks perfectly fine? Time will tell; dual meaning, also when I can FIND the time.

Second official question to the Troops: Where can I find the two supports for the center of the M-37 canvas roof?
I see places where they go, but they are missing.

Rolls Canardly

Seem to have issue finding "1951 Dodge M-37 manuals?"
When I search I get an error that M-37 is excluded; wow, that's what I am looking for?
It's not that I am computer illiterate, but why exclude the main search term?
( I work at an Army Depot, in Logistics Management for 18 yrs.
as a Supply Systems Analyst; I use FEDLOG every day, so this makes no sense to me.)
I am looking for the Repair TM - even the NIIN, (Nat. Item Ident. Number,) for this manual would be helpful.
Would it be simpler if someone just throws me a link, possibly?
Thanks all!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Seem to have issue finding "1951 Dodge M-37 manuals?"
When I search I get an error that M-37 is excluded; wow, that's what I am looking for?
It's not that I am computer illiterate, but why exclude the main search term?
( I work at an Army Depot, in Logistics Management for 18 yrs.
as a Supply Systems Analyst; I use FEDLOG every day, so this makes no sense to me.)
I am looking for the Repair TM - even the NIIN, (Nat. Item Ident. Number,) for this manual would be helpful.
Would it be simpler if someone just throws me a link, possibly?
Thanks all!
I am definitely not the resident expert here on the use of "search". My opinion of our search engine isn't very high (to put it nicely).

TM9 2320-212-10 Operator's Manual is
TM 9-8031-2 Power train,Body & frame. (No engine info )
TM 9-1840A Ord maint, engine & clutch ( "GREAT" rebuild manual )
ORD 9 SNL G-741 List all service parts ( self explanatory )
TM 9-2320-212-34P Direct Support and General Support Parts and Tools M37, M43, M201

The only M-37 TM I could find here was the -10 and there is a link below:

Wish I could have a better answer. I found a few web searching - all for sale as opposed to free downloads.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Second official question to the Troops: Where can I find the two supports for the center of the M-37 canvas roof?
I see places where they go, but they are missing.
Are you talking about the two straps that hook into the windshield brackets or the two footman loops on the back soft top frame work. I got the straps when I got my new canvas top made from New Life Canvas.

Attachments

Rolls Canardly

Are you talking about the two straps that hook into the windshield brackets or the two footman loops on the back soft top frame work. I got the straps when I got my new canvas top made from New Life Canvas.
Roger that - I am, and you have a good picture that shows them perfectly.
And - I have a really good top, but missing these two items. (Good, except for the 1" mouse hole from storage.)
"Cab top cover bow-to-windshield straps" is better nomenclature.
I also searched for "1951 Dodge M-37 manuals" and found a CD with 7 items on it for under 20 bucks.
Thanks for the replies - and the leads, you guys are making this too easy!!
In the Link you sent me there are tons of NIINs to search in FEDLOG, Thanks!

Still looking for the elusive M-37 hand crank. Anyone?

Welcome to the forum. I see you are based in Mt Pocono and work at Tobyhanna Army Depot (Electronics Repair Depot to the Army) I had a posting there 30 years ago when I was in the Army (Logistics 92Y4O F5 Senior Suppy Sergeant) and it was pretty country but mobbed with New Yorkers at the weekend coming to enjoy their cabin in the woods. Quieter during the week.

Nice catch M37. They are sweet (but slow) rides when set to rights. I will look forward to your further progress with interest.

Rolls Canardly

Welcome to the forum. I see you are based in Mt Pocono and work at Tobyhanna Army Depot (Electronics Repair Depot to the Army) I had a posting there 30 years ago when I was in the Army (Logistics 92Y4O F5 Senior Suppy Sergeant) and it was pretty country but mobbed with New Yorkers at the weekend coming to enjoy their cabin in the woods. Quieter during the week.

Nice catch M37. They are sweet (but slow) rides when set to rights. I will look forward to your further progress with interest.
Thank you and everyone for the warm welcome.
I am as they say, a "local," and have watched the progression, or seep, from NYC and Phila, starting as you mentioned with a "Summer cottage," to ski the weekend, to the multi-thousand Sq. Ft. Mc Mansion of today.
They now stay year round, and no longer go "back home" after the weekend. "This is nice, why don't we move here?"

So, ***an update - I have found a hand crank!!! Can't believe it, but got one.
I will contact your source for the Top Straps, that will be my next quest.
Thanks again, - all - for the support!
Rolls Canardly
Out.

M-37Bruce

Welcome, your on the right track.
A word of caution using the hand-crank, personally I never used one, even on my 8N tractor. I read that wrapping your thumb around the crank can recoil and do harm to your digits!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome, your on the right track.
A word of caution using the hand-crank, personally I never used one, even on my 8N tractor. I read that wrapping your thumb around the crank can recoil and do harm to your digits!
Rolls Canardly, R E A L L Y, no bs on the being careful with the hand crank because M-37Bruce is definitely right about it! You can end up with a broken hand or arm... You "sneak up on it" rolling gently until you feel the compression stroke - then a brisk push should make it fire. Everything has to be right. Good plugs, good condenser, good wires and coil...

My 29 Model A will hit first time every time. It has the ability to advance the spark by hand though - and that helps a lot.

Dipstick

Hey Rolls......I live in Effort in Sierra View lower! Nice to have a fellow member so close by. That is a sweet M37! You really have to watch it up here. The "Truck Destroyer, Granular" they put on the roads up here has ruined my floor boards and fenders in the five years I've lived up here. Good luck with your new truck. It has a essentially a Dodge 218 ci. flathead six doesn't it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks