• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

69 M715 Navy

osok

The question would be why add a fording kit? Are you planning to drive the truck through 6 feet of water.
Perhaps.. :D

What is the reason for the govenor on this unit and what does the FSN and registration number signify?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The registration number is sort of like the military's permanent serial number/license plate number. It is not the same as a VIN number, or manufacturer's serial number. It tells you, in code, what size the truck was/and or its original use, sometimes when it was bought, and its sequence in delivery.

The FSN (Federal Stock Number) was the precursor to the NSN (National Stock Number) - it is the "part number" for the entire truck within the military supply system. The FSN can be used to identify the "M-number" of the truck, and some of the options that were installed on the truck when it was delivered.

HTH,
David Doyle

Kwai

Rice670, the contact mainteance truck came in 2 varieties. I have a M724 chassis with a 1970 6217 box and the later M715 chassis with a 1976 box. The later M715 chassis also uses a np205 transfer case with a pto instead of the rear axle disconnect on the M724 chassis.

Here is a pic of my M726.

Attachments

osok

Kwai,
Nice rig! Couple questions about it... What is covered up on the front left side of the bumper? I've got the plate there with nothing on it. Also I'm missing what I believe are tow bar hooks??? on the front bumper. What size tires are you running?

Kwai

I do to know!!! I have seen pics (and I have another M726 that I do have in my possession, just not as complete).

The tow bar mounts are not supposed to be mounted permanently. These will be one of the first things I remove and stow in the truck after I get it shipped back to Texas.

Under the cover is a vise. Not stock. It was added later. I have a better quality Wilton C0 vise to replace it. The 2nd pic shows the rear compartment with the bottle mount. Looks like it is for a small propane tank or something. More research is required on this.

Sounds like the seabees might have chopped the top compartments off the box, maybe it was damaged somehow.

Attachments

osok

I made it home sunday, took some pics, then forgot to bring the stuff to work to download, sorry. I got to play around with her and Kwai's right, someone chopped the top off the box. Did a good job at that because I thought it was stock. There was a brass tag inside the battery box, I think it said something like STAHL utility beds with a serial # but I can't remember for sure.

I got really lucky with it because someone had the forethought to drain the fuel and cooling systems. Basically all I had to do was connect some new batteries and add gas! She purrs like a kitten! Its only got 22k on the odo but I think its been recently rebuilt as the block has fresh red paint.

Absolutely no brakes though, feels like the plunger is gone on the master cylinder.

thanks for the help, I'll get pics up this week I hope.

-Osok

spicergear

:) Velvet is well...but I should put a new radiator in her at some point. TTC and a giant mud pit I got threw at Rausch Creek pretty much destroyed my Summit radiator.

Osok, here are my M715's. Velvet is the big one, Futura is the orange one that has since gotten a soft top and 1100x16 XL's.

Attachments

emr

Holy Smokes, i just fell in Love! that thing is awwwwsome, I have always said the 715 is one of the best looking ,mV's out there, Love it , would love to see any pics U got. Randy

osok

Finally had a day off and took a couple of pics. This is going to be a long project for me as I seem to be a whole lot slower than anyone else on this site!

I added this one to the vin registry on the zone and found out theres only 8 M726's there!

As you can see, you guys were right, the original box was cut down to less than half size. The tailgate is functional and I think they did a good job. Like you said, I'm guessing the original utility box was damaged so the seabees cut it down. Still not sure if I'm going to keep it or swap on a 715 bed.

Another update: All it took was some fresh gas and batteries to get her going! Every single gauge works as do all of the lights. This thing is in better condition than anthing else I own!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted with pics as I make progress. Thanks for the information so far, awesome sight!

-Osok

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to restore it back to Seabee's status. That truck has some history. Even if you put the 715 bed back on, keep it Seabees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks