• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6TL Batteries and 6TMF Batteries

Lex_Ordo

6TL Batteries and 6TMF Batteries; Is there a difference?

I have 6TL batts in my duece, and want to replace 6TMF batts in the M998 HMMWV. Too make things easier, I just assume use the 6TL batts because I have a local source. Visa versa, if the Duece can take the 6TMF batts, then I would like to set up a backup source.

Are the Batteries interchangeable? I've been up and down the internet, and the forum search, but can't find a straight answer.

philofab

6TL = Group 6 non maintenance free (has water levels you can check)
6TMF = Maintenance free, still is a standard flooded battery but does not need the water level checked (may not be accessible either)
6T-AGM = Absorbed glass mat battery, no water to fill or check. More vibration resistant.

The Odyssey PC2250 is an AGM Battery and does not follow conventional part numbers.

US Battery, Deka, Hawker, Odyssey, Exide, and other all make this size battery. The only thing to be aware of is some are a stud terminal, some are SAE terminal, or a combo terminal (Both next to each other)

philofab

After reviewing threads on fitting Group 31 batteries and comparing costs you are a lot better off with 31s unless for some reason you want to keep it 100% stock looking (even though you can not see the batteries after install)

Flooded/MF Group 31 $75-$105
AGM Group 31 $200-$300
Flooded 6TN $200-$250
AGM 6T $400-$450

The CCAs and reserve capacity are almost identical.
Warranty is almost identical.

Group 31s are plentiful at any truck stop, walmart, auto parts store.

Need a 6TN? Order and wait. I called today on some and they are 2 weeks out for both Odyssey and the flooded house brand.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's not forget the Military batteries can be submerged for fording.

That's something most civilian batteries can not take.

lawnmowerman

Does anyone know where I can find batteries for my m35a3c two 12 volt hawkers . But don't really need stock batteries any ideas cant find numbers on them. I hear optima batteries can anyone give me specs on what I need 3116 caterpillar.

I picked up a couple of used 6TL Hawker batteries for $50.00 each from The Battery Barn in Petersburg VA. That was a couple of years ago and they still work great. My GPS was a little lost trying to find that place, but I just followed the smell of battery acid. That place had tons of batteries, and you could literally smell it a block away.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Does anyone know where I can find batteries for my m35a3c two 12 volt hawkers . But don't really need stock batteries any ideas cant find numbers on them. I hear optima batteries can anyone give me specs on what I need 3116 caterpillar.
There is tray adapters so you can run optima batteries in the stock battery box. Might try a google search, I don't have any part numbers to offer.

westtek

I have optima 31p in my m35a2.
Cables fit without modification. Batteries fit the box without modification. They are angled in the box but the terminals are located the same place as the mil battery.
The hold down needed a little bend. It may have been bent before? It was not in the best condition.
Been there for 3 years plus.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks