• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 frozen in the cold

ross165123

My m818 sprag has been working all year long but now that there snow and its cold it crapped out. Only noticed it when I needed it going up a hill the rear started hoping and sliding and nothing from the front. When I pulled in the driveway I Flores it and got the tires sping and then stopped and looked at the track and only the rears had been spinning. Could there be moisture in the sprag or is it just bad?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't the sprag engage with air ? moisture in the air system would be the first thing to check .
Do you drain your air tanks daily ?

ross165123

Yea I normally do when I park it, every now and then I forget tho. I'm just trying to not needlessly crawl in the snow. But I guess if its frozen I can take the hairdryer to it

sandcobra164

I live down in Georgia where we don't have issues like that. I do recall reading around on here about some trucks of that vintage having alcohol kits installed upstream of the air compressor inlet to help alleviate that sort of problem. I'd try to locate one of those or attempt to install an air dryer. There is a member on here who sells one designed as a replacement for an M939 series truck for under $200. I'm not endorsing that you purchase anything from anyone. If you go that route, you'd have to fabricate a mounting bracket and some fitting to plumb the unit into the air system. You'd also need to add some wiring to power the heater and you'd have to tee off a line from the governor to the compressor unloader to signal the expello valve on the dryer to vent the moisture. If you're hearing the correct sounds when shifting from forward to reverse, a loud "Pffft" but the transfer is not moving, you likely have a frozen sprag selector due to moisture freezing on the actuator. It's not hard to check. Bring it into a heated shop and let it sit for a day or so, then get under there and remove it. You can remove the housing from the transfer case, clean everything and lube with air tool oil. See if the piston attached to the transfer case is able to move easily, check the two O Rings! After everything is cleaned and lubed, re-install and cross your fingers.

ross165123

Ill take it off and clean it after the snow melts and then the next snow storm ill see if that works. If it didn't ill look at the air drier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks