• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 lock in

rd69599

My duce has on means of locking the front axle. There isnt any signs of anything being mounted in the cab to lock and unlock 6wd. I stopped by the national guard vehicle shop today and they showed me alll the ins and outs of the 6wd system. THE TM's show the system from cab to xfer case, But my trucks Xfer case does not have the attachment for the air lock to engage the front axle, instead it has a few links attached between the xfer case and the transmission and the xfer case looks totaly diffrent than what the guardsmen showed me and what the TM's described. Its a rockwell xfer case and its a 67 m35 a2 multifuel. Can any body shed some light on this.
Keep in mind this is my first 2 1/2 ton and ive got a lot to learn.

Thanks for any input. All you guys are very helpful. THANKS :?:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search this site using the worg "sprag". Thats what you have and you will turn up more reading than you can digest in a week.

rgregj

lock out

Its probably like mine 66' M35A2, in that it has a sprag instead of air control. There is a great article in PM magazine on the site about how it works.

Good luck,

Greg Jackson

bbf

RE: lock out

i just pick up another deuce and there was no air control in my as well i guess i will read up about this as well

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: lock out

rd69599 said:
Thanks guys , How does a sprag work?
When the back tires spin the transfer case automaticly locks the front axle in.

jimm1009

It is an over-running clutch of sorts as in when it senses the rear axles slipping it sends power to the front axle.
It is the first generation of transfer cases and is the less desirable of the two but I have one in the truck that I purchased first and it seems to work fine. I played in a little slippery goo and it engaged o.k. but I need to do a rigging check too. There are issues with driving down a clean dry road if it is not disengaging completely and I may have that problem myself.
I think that most owners who have one will run it until it wears out and then install the air-shift version.
Jim

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Short story, you would need the air shift transfer case and associated air lines and underdash switch.

Majority of the difficulty is removal and reinstallation of the cases themselves, running of the air lines and such is minimal.

BFR did the swap and I helped (well, I stood around and took pics).

He posted a thread about it:

http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8653