• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6x6 Stepvan

panhapp

Hi to the forum members. I’m going to have some questions so I thought I‘d better quit being a guest and join up. I’m going to mount an aluminum stepvan body on a 211 chassis. The frame will be stretched 2 or 3 feet. 454 Chevy with a 5 speed. 4 speed over drive auxiliary transmission. Intended purpose is a heavy duty, off road motorhome. I was wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this?
What do you guys do to control the forward/ reverse shaft on the transfercase? This a great site.
Thanks Pan

Last edited by a moderator:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frankenvan

Sounds like a wild.........thunderdome type ride!
If your gonna be posting alot I would suggest changing
your text color to a lighter one.......the black lettering
against the dark green makes for hard reading for some of
us old farts on here!!! Good luck with yer project.......popacom:driver:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

Why a 211.....a deuce would be better suited for this conversion and has the multi-fuel capability.

I'd rethink that 454 gas guzzeling, boat anchor.

But it's your dog and you can whip it if you want to.

panhapp

Thanks guys keep me in line here. 73m819 that"s awild van. I have a 4x4 conversion on a old Ford van in the works also. it will have a little dana 60 in front though. I'll need a dingy for the motor home.:)
454=good power on Lp and I already have 211 and 135 stuff.
Pan

panhapp

I don't have a complete 211 or 135. No engines or transmissions just the chassis. There is a cab with I think a non original but good hard top, and a beat up bed on the 135. My Ford van is on Lp though. IMPCO 425. I used to run the stepvan on LP when it was my service truck. I'm still trying to decide which engine/transmission to run in the Ford.
Pan

Gunfreak25

Good luck with your project, post lots of pictures and take your time.

The transfer case is often overlooked on a lot of power swaps. Good on you for thinking about it! From the factory, the transmission and transfer were both shifted at the same time, via the shift tower. When the shifter arm was placed in REVERSE this not only shifted the transmission, but simultaneously shifted the transfer in reverse which also powered the front axle for 6x6 in reverse. As soon as the shifter was placed in any forward gear again, this would return the transfer case to "forward" operation which also disengaged the front axle. So under normal driving conditions (smooth pavement) your only being powered by your rear wheels. This is how it works 99% of the time. The only time the front axle gets engaged is when the rear wheels begin to slip by as little as 6% which causes the forward sprag unit to transfer power to the front wheels as well. As soon as the rear wheels slowed down enough, the front axle was disengaged. So this, and when the transfer is in REVERSE are the ONLY times that the front axle is under power. It's a little confusing at first, but once you understand it you'll never forget it.

Now onto your question, when you change transmissions you obviously lose all of your shift linkage. Except for what is connected to the Hydramatic crossmember. If you can keep the original crossmember and all it's transfer case linkage, it will make rigging up a lever to control the reverse shifter shaft very easy.

So you have two options. If you don't want to mess with the linkage, just drop the front driveshaft and ignore the front output on the transfer. However if you want 6x6 capabilities, the linkage is mandatory. Failure to shift the transfer case into forward or reverse can cause the forward sprag to bind and eventually break.

Throw all the power at the transfer case that your heart desires. It is VERY VERY strong. The original 302 made 260 ft lbs of torque. The Hydramatic had a 4.54 reverse gear ratio with a low range reverse ratio of 17.35:1. Do the math, that is 40,000 ft lbs of input torque on the transfer case. With these ratios, it's no wonder the GMC's were notorious for snapping so many driveshafts and axle shafts like dry spaghetti.

panhapp

Thanks for the reply Gunfreak. You confirmed what I figured. What I am thinking is a switch at the bottom of the transmission shifter that operates a buzzer in reverse. It would be easy to forget. Do you do any prospecting?
Pan

Gunfreak25

I don't believe a reminder buzzer would be necessary. I will be placing the reverse shifter shaft lever for the transfer right beside my 700r4 shifter. There will be warning stencils placed on both shifting consoles (hand made) that indicate how the transfer should be shifted. With the handbrake lever, low range lever, original transfer lever, and the reverse shifter shaft lever there will be a total of 4 levers inside the cab. This not only looks cool from a mechanical point of view, but is about the best anti theft deterrent out there aside from the fact they are big and green.

Prospecting, you mean panning?

panhapp

I'll probably not mess with the reverse buzzer till I forget the first time. The front shaft will be removed most of the time anyway. I'll have all the levers you listed plus a shifter for the auxillary transmission, and 2 winch controls. That reminds me, does anyone know if you can reverse the output shaft on the winch PTO? I need it to point to the rear of the truck.
Yeah panning, metal detecting.

Gunfreak25

Nope, never been panning in my life. Although I hear AZ is great for it, and with the price of gold going up it's becoming more of a temptation. If you have any questions on the truck must give me a shout and i'll PM you my phone #.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
and 2 winch controls. That reminds me, does anyone know if you can reverse the output shaft on the winch PTO? I need it to point to the rear of the truck.
Yeah panning, metal detecting.
I believe the answer is yes but AsK G. or Spicergear

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks