• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7.3 powerstroke in a hmmwv?

Lawdawg79

Hey guys, posting for a friend here who has a hmmwv. Its a 4 door slantback w 6.5. Hes talking about dropping a 6.6 duramax in it, and i think that along with thw cummins is a great motor.

But i asked him if a 7.3, also a great motor will fit and he said he didnt know.

Im not trying to talk him out of a 6.6, but was just curious if anyone has put a 7
3 in one.

I know all about the 7.3 as i have one in my f250 and i honestly dont think i will ever seel the truck cuz i love the engine so much. I searched on here but all i could find was 7.3's in deuces.

Obviously with enough $ and fabrication one could put anything they wish in there, but wondering why i cant find any 7.3 hmmwv's.

tage

It won't directly bolt up to the other drive line items. I'm not sure about the other aspects of the swap, but the reason people like the Cummins are that they are dead simple to wire up since everything is mechanical, and that they respond really really well with basic bolt ons.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is talking about a power stroke, not a 4 or 6BT...someone correct me, but I think that powerstroke has a lot more electronics., like the Dirtymax.
as far a as Dirtymax goes....hope he has a lot of money, patience and time....that's a huge undertaking, and hopefully will be done right....but if he does, that truck will do 4 wheel burn outs....I've driven a few H1 comversions from my customers and they rock, mind you, they have issues....cooling is number one, and breaking drive line components.

Lawdawg79

Thanks for the replies...hes still contemplating and researching. Its does seem to me that a 7.3 donor truck can be had alot cheaper than an duramax donor.

If i were doing it myself i would go with a 7.3, but thats because i know the engine and know how to work on it. Plus i think it sounds better lol.

Shark Bait

Banks Power offers the Duramax as a crate engine with a harness and computer without many of the emissions crap required on many new vehicles. Last I had looked I think it was about $13k.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks