• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7.3 powerstroke/t444e bobbed deuce

res0wc18

Well you can install a ZF5 which is the same thing as the ZF6 for final drive of .77. The ZF6 just gives you a small gap between 3rd and 4th. or 4th and 5th. I forget which, the ZF6 does however let you have a cooler for your tranny which is a benefit. I do not like the dual mass flywheel setup on the ZFs. I trashed all of mine and went to solid with Laycook Products clutch. The ZF5/6 behind the gas engines has a .76 ratio vs the .77 in the diesel. There is a mod where you can swap the guts. I believe with the PS with a ZF5 and a divorced NP205 behind that would stand up quite well. I know the 6.9/7.3 IDI engines all share the same bellhousing pattern with the powerstroke and the 6.9/7.3 IDIs are SAE#2 bellhousings so you could bolt it to a 5 ton tranny.

I did some research on putting a 6.9L IDI into my 5 ton but I had to use the engine for another truck. I found one out of a 4x4 short bus. Had a 15" disc behind it with the SAE 2 bellhousing bolted to a Spicer 4054. The issues I was looking at was rigging a way to keep the air compressor running. Found some 1/4hp electric motors for remote mount. OR an electric air pump system. $100-$250 range on those. Then running the power steering on my 5 ton was going to be an issue. I found a powersteering pump builder that could make one for the IDI with the same pressure and flow rate as the LDS system. I would just have to mend together the fittings. the exhaust would be the other issue clearing the driveshaft and what not. The 94.5-97 powerchokes didnt use intercoolers so not as much crap running around the engine.

You can search around and see if you can fine a 7.3 from a 98-03 E350 superduty van. They are NON intercooled. ALOT more power than the 94.5-97 versions. Also equipped with an air ride compressor. We had one in my old inmate transportation van and it was a beast.
very interesting. Is the mounting on the 5 ton tranny etc different than the duece?

It still begs the question of "does the power stroke block have an sae2 pattern built in"

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i think the 5 ton trans is a non standard sae#2, you can just use the 3053 trans, it is more than capable and less to adapt

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
ok, i couldn't remember, is it the 5 ton that has the odd bolt pattern? the 3053 bolts right up to a std sae #3 then without the adaptor ring yes?

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it is the Deuce's-MF clutchhousing that needs that special adapter ring.
The 5ton MF engines take a clutch housing with a SAE#2 pattern.

Attached (edited) photo of that adapter ring shows the SAE#2 bolt holes (in red) vs. the MF's odd bolt pattern (white).

G.

Attachments

Studleyjay126

What about a DT466? Has anyone ever done this swap? I drove a tow truck for 6 months and the 466 was a great engine, and if I'm not mistaken they can come with an auto

In the 1980's I drove three trucks with DT 466 one had a automatic one had 13 speed roadranger and the last one had a 5x4 I would think it may take some searching to find what you need but it should be out there. Last year when I was looking at engines I seen a lot of DT 466 in the salvage yard .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks