• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 Conversion

ryanruck

Respectfully -

Please excuse me if I am out of line, but what does this have to do with a 700R4 Conversion? Is that D.B. Cooper I see over there?
I wasn't going to say anything but that's what I was thinking. :whistle:

Didn't want to leave the guy hanging with no info though...

Maybe one of the mods could split it and the other posts off to its own thread?

davykeith

Taking the plunge

So I'm jumping into this foray and have ordered a HD 700R4 Transmission with Selectable Transfer Case 4x4
6 month warranty against manufacturing defects provided through builder for $1850 plus shipping. Now to source other parts...

tomelroy

I love my 700r4 conversion...best trans for the 6.2/6.5 hmmwv IMO. Lower first gear is a perfect fit and that shift from 3rd to 4th just sets it free! Every HMMWV owner that has driven mine want to do the conversion. It is a very simple conversion once you have seen it done.

JoeJrTheBarber

I love my 700r4 conversion...best trans for the 6.2/6.5 hmmwv IMO. Lower first gear is a perfect fit and that shift from 3rd to 4th just sets it free! Every HMMWV owner that has driven mine want to do the conversion. It is a very simple conversion once you have seen it done.
If I may ask what was your "comfortable" cruising speed before the trans swap and then after ?

tomelroy

I wish i had RPM readings from before and after. I would say off the top of my head, before 40, after 55. i mainly drive on roads that have speed limits between 25 and 55 mph. I have never had it on the interstate to get a top speed. I am planning on installing a RMP gauge on this one and one i have with a t400 so I can get some better info on the conversion and get it on the interstate for top speed etc. I planned to do 3 of these conversions and had specified to the installer that I wanted all this info...both before and after. They did not do any of that and I have not myself as of yet. The only info i have from driving around is: it shifts from 1st to 2nd at 15, 2nd to 3rd at 30 and 3rd to 4th at 45. 55 to 65 mph feels very comfortable and is much quieter. With the Turbo 400 3 speed the engine was screaming at 55. My 700r4 also is wired for lockup in 4th so once i get it hooked to a power source I will have even more data to crunch.

tomelroy

IMG_2218.jpgIMG_2221.jpgIMG_2214.jpgIMG_2216.jpgIMG_2215.jpg

The last photo above shows the tv cable setup. (using the mounts from the turbo 400)

I have not posted the video yet. Some of the content is helpful info on setting up a 700r4 and some is documenting the craftsmanship of the crew that installed it....Here are few examples how i got it back from their shop:
IMG_1638.jpg
coolant line was kinked

IMG_1612.jpg
Flexplate was hacked to fit new torque converter (flexplate should have been replaced) and the oddball bolt (shown in pic) was used to attach flexplate to torque converter, Flexplate cover was chopped in half long way and half tossed in trash (probably because they forgot to install it before installing exhaust and did not want to remove and reinstall exhaust to install properly)

and;

Multiple missing and loose bolts on exhaust, mounts, driveline, etc.

Tv cable was not setup properly (not enough travel)

Lockup was not wired

Vent lines from trans and transfer case were not installed

Cable from transfer case to lock diff light was missing

Linkage from selector to trans was slightly out of adjustment and it would not select drive, so when test driving it would not shift to overdrive.

New fill tube was kinked/damaged to try to fit engine cover, cover would not fit properly ( i have not resolved this yet, but did buy a flexible fill tube)

crew managed to crack the case on the perfectly functional turbo 400 they removed, it was returned with the governor removed/missing, the fill tube/dipstick lost, and the kickdown removed/missing.

But, it was all worth it!

topdrivejesus

Awesome pics and info tomelroy! I’m about to begin installing one of the PATC Raptor II kits that claims to be HMMWV bolt in. It came with the adjustable TV cable, diesel torque converter, tail shaft housing adapter, 32 spline tail-shaft, up-built 700r4, and I think I remember seeing the lock-up harness. I work basically all the time so all of these goodies have been decorating the work bench in my garage for about 10months! Me thinks it’s time to take some time off and tackle the project, thanks to all of your awesome info and pictures for giving me the extra push.

87m998

Wow sounds like some quality install workmanship issues, would like the info on the trans if its good quality. Also where did you get the shifter
thanks

dhaumann69166

Even if the kit doesn’t come with a TV cable bracket you can just use the stock one on the HMMWV. You just have to make the hole square instead of round. Pretty easy mod to save a lot of money. Most places want a ridiculous price for the bracket.

tomelroy

i would recommend only using the stock bracket and linkage to injection pump (it works perfect)... you can also just round the square corners on the plastic tv cable to fit the round hole!

tomelroy

One note on the tv cables. Some of the tv cables have a crimped end on the injector side of the cable, some have a barrel with a set screw. Mine had the crimped end. I had to cut of the crimped end off and add a cable barrel with set screw so i could set the tv cable properly. You want all the slack out of the tv cable at idle and at full travel with the throttle fully depressed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks