• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700r4 For M1008 Conversion Parts List

Thomas_G

Can anyone provide a list of what would be needed to convert a TH400 to a 700R4? Are the 6.2 T.V hard to find? If anyone has parts for sale let me know as well. I was going to go swapping of ring and pinion but sounds like 700R4 is easier.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't do a detailed list now but I've posted it a few times in the past if you care to search. Also look for a thread by speddmon using the phrase road oiler.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting close to doing this and plan to photo document the entire process in my rebuild thread and include GM part numbers where applicable. I've been accumulating parts for several months and almost ready to pull the trigger. The single most difficult part to obtain will be the factory TV cable bracket which bolts on the rear of the driver's side head and provides the connecting point for the TV cable. I suggest you locate and obtain this part first, then begin to obtain the other parts. You will also need to decide where you are going to obtain the 700R4 itself. Some guys are content with purchasing a used unit from a junkyard, however speaking for myself, I could never trust such an unknown, untested, important piece of equipment on a long trip. So I plan on purchasing a completely rebuilt unit from a reputable rebuilder with a good track record. But be forewarned, these top-end transmissions can run upwards of $1500 - $2000 after tax, crating, freight, etc. You will also need to go into your NP208 (assuming this what is in your CUCV) and change the input gear to a 27 spline unit to mate up with the 700R4 output shaft. So in summary, it's a bigger job than most guys realize. However if you take time to fully understand the entire process, accumulate all your parts beforehand, and budget the project properly, you will be fine. The only part I still need is the transmission itself, and I plan on ordering it February and start the process in March or April. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

If you don't want to use the google custom search feature on the top right of the page you could always look below at the "similar threads" section. I didn't notice the similar threads section until someone pointed them out to me.

Last edited:

Chaski

Sharecropper pretty much nailed it.

I highly suggest you search your local pick-n-pull or equivalent self serve wrecking yard to track down a diesel blazer, pickup or suburban to harvest the 700r4 TV cable bracket out of. They seem to fetch over $100 on eBay these days. Other things to harvest at a wrecking yard would be a 27 spline input for your np208. It is pretty easy to get and only requires a socket and ratchet to split a junkyard np208 apart, although the rest of the transfer case will be like 57 card pickup for the next guy.. Might also want to tear apart a dash and get a overdrive gear indicator for your shift column. Other than that make sure you locate a good K case 700r4 and have it properly built.

Jozseph

Thomas or anyone else

If you are going to do the rebuilding of the transmission and gear box yourself review the following;

Book:

GM Overdrive Builder & Swappers Guide
by Cliff Ruggles : Published by CarTech (September 30, 2008

• ISBN-10: 1932494502
  • ISBN-13: 978-1932494501

And review http://www.technicalvideos.com

They have videos, technical manuals / books, tools and links for transmission information

Regards

Joseph

Chaski

Thomas or anyone else

If you are going to do the rebuilding of the transmission and gear box yourself review the following;

Book:

GM Overdrive Builder & Swappers Guide
by Cliff Ruggles : Published by CarTech (September 30, 2008

• ISBN-10: 1932494502
  • ISBN-13: 978-1932494501

And review http://www.technicalvideos.com

They have videos, technical manuals / books, tools and links for transmission information

Regards

Joseph

Personally I despise that book. I swear that the 5 star reviews on Amazon of that book are all from spoof accounts setup by the publisher or author in the past year. I own that book, it is not a technical manual of any sort. It does not have a SINGLE exploded diagram in it, not a one! It is full of neat pictures and general information like lengths compared to other transmissions, pictures of tools, pictures of cars...etc. I would not purchase the book and expect it to be any sort of technical reference.

There are three books I suggest. Book number 1 shows the differences and compatibility between the parts in all years of the 700r4, 4l60 and 4l60e. Book 2 is "the" rebuild reference. It shows every assembly in exact detail. Book 3 is a good cheap general guide. It isn't the best book, but it is good enough to use as an assembly guide.

1) ATSG GM 700R4 4L60 Techtran Transmission Rebuild Manual (Supplemental) (Update Handbook 1982-1993)

2) ATSG THM 700-R4 (4L60) 1987-1993 Techtran Manual

3) General Motors Automatic Transmission Overhaul: Models Covered, THM200-4R, THM350, THM400 and THM700-R4 - Rear W (Haynes Repair Manuals) ISBN-10: 1563924234
ISBN-13: 978-1563924231

I used books one and three on my 700r4 home rebuild with good results. It has been two years now and I have not managed to scatter it.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but as soon as the Cliff Ruggles book was mentioned I had to pipe up since IMHO it is a $23.00 doorstop.

notsosanestan

If anyone needs parts I am removing my 700r4 from my 6.2 diesel pickup and putting in a nv4500 maybe we can swap input shafts for the tcase?

Thomas_G

If you have a manual built this will be as good as the starter relay procedure! i have the NP208 but from the sound of it i need

1. 6.2 TV for a 700r4
2. 700R4 K Code trans
3. Overdrive gear indicator for 700r4
4. Flex Plate for 6.2 diesel 700r4 appliation

Chaski

If you have a manual built this will be as good as the starter relay procedure! i have the NP208 but from the sound of it i need

1. 6.2 TV for a 700r4
2. 700R4 K Code trans
3. Overdrive gear indicator for 700r4
4. Flex Plate for 6.2 diesel 700r4 appliation
And a 27 spline for your np208.

Winston Wolf

You also need a diesel low stall torque converter (and be sure the transmission governor is set for a diesel), and the tall transfer case adapter. How are you going to do the lockup? To get it (lockup control) to the point that I could stand it cost a bunch of cash... I wired it for 4th gear lockup only, and I bought the factory electrical throttle switch and modified it internally to get it to work correctly. That switch now unlocks the converter at zero throttle and anything over about 60% throttle. But, it would still want to lug at slower speeds, so I added a B&M speed controls so it can't lock under 45 mph. Now it's pretty good, about like my stock gas 700R4 pickup (controlled by a computer).

I'd probably also add an aux trans cooler. When I did mine, I got a rebuilt 4x4 trans from a shop, bought a 27 spline transfer case off craigslist for 45$ and rebuilt it with an ebay 85$ kit. Best thing I ever did to the truck.

Chaski

Personally I found the diesel governor to shift too early. I'd do a diesel gov on a M1009 and a V8 gas governor on anything with 4.56 gears...m1008 etc.

I have a simple one wire 4th gear lockup setup, and I agree that the throttle switch would be a nice upgrade. Normally I just drive around in D unless I am on a freeway or highway, then I bump it into OD. That switch would make it more user friendly as it is a pain when it locks up at low or no throttle when I'd rather it does not

Thomas_G

I am kind of debating if i should either just swap the gears to 3.73 since i do no off roading, just towing my boat. The swap would be great but it sounds very complicated and hard to find the parts. the TV bracket alone i couldn't find, every salvage yard with a 6.2 had trans removed and bracket gone, I searched from Houston/Dallas/Austin.

Chaski

To each their own, but I really think the swap is worth the trouble. It isn't like an axle re-gear is an easy or cheap job. Plus you will get a fresh transmission out of it too. The TV brackets can be had on ebay, or from members on the forum. I think that off the line performance towing with a TH400 2.48:1 first gear and 3.73 gears would be dismal. 4.56 gears and a 700r4 will be about 30% lower in first gear.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

I just used the weights of the diesel governor and used springs from a Superior Trans Gov kit to get the shifts exactly where I wanted them. If you can find the electrical switch, I'll let you know how I modified it to make it 100% adjustable on both on and off.

Personally I found the diesel governor to shift too early. I'd do a diesel gov on a M1009 and a V8 gas governor on anything with 4.56 gears...m1008 etc.

I have a simple one wire 4th gear lockup setup, and I agree that the throttle switch would be a nice upgrade. Normally I just drive around in D unless I am on a freeway or highway, then I bump it into OD. That switch would make it more user friendly as it is a pain when it locks up at low or no throttle when I'd rather it does not

Thomas_G

Anyone with parts available for swap txt me @ 832.579.4801

I have a transmission and T/Case Trans Adaptor with 27 spline input shaft already, all other parts i need. Thanks for info!