• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700r4 for my M1028???

2HIJOS2126

I just seen an ad on somedudeslist on a 700r4 4x4 transmission pulled off a 6.2 diesel and was wondering if this would work on my M1028??? Also would this benefit me in any way??? This is how the ad reads... (Pulled from 1984 Chevy. Works great. Was behind a 6.2 diesel. I will include the np208 transfer case and crossmember at no charge. The transfer case works good but did occasionally pop out of 4 low. It may have just been the linkage adjustment that was not right.)

cliffyp

If you do a lot of driving, the overdrive is awesome! If the ad is truthful and the transmission is ready to roll, it'll bolt right up. Torque converter and governor are already set up for diesel application.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure it includes the TV cable linkage for the 6.2. Thats usually the hardest part to source.

2HIJOS2126

Thanks for the info guys... Also the person is asking $375 for it... Is that reasonable??? If it will benefit me in the long run I might purchase it... Thanks again...

2HIJOS2126

Yeah... Also I was thinking that Charlie's auto salvage has a couple of 80's diesels that might have the bracket... Haven't made up my mind yet... gonna research it more and see what the pros and cons would be on this swap...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pros of the swap.
1) overdrive keeps the pistons from swapping holes at 65 MPH.
2) Sensible driving helps fuel economy
3) Deeper first gear helps the low power 6.2 get the heavy truck rolling
4) Lock up converter increases efficiency

Cons.

1) Naysayers hate the transmission and insist it's a downgrade

The 700R4 had troubles in it's infancy. GM and the aftermarket pretty much came up with fixes for each. A properly built 700R4 can handle 1000 HP so I don't think there will be an issue with the 190HP 6.2.

2HIJOS2126

Sweet... I'm liking the idea more and more... Is there anything tricky about the swap or is it pretty much straight forward??? Any tips or any other input would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first tranny swap...

cliffyp

It's a very straight forward swap. The only tricky thing is getting your hands on the TV cable bracket. You will need to wire up for the converter lock up. There are several ways to do it. A couple threads here have some of the ways it's been done as well as vast amounts on it via google.

jsgmdiesel

I like the 700r4 but I would definitely rebuild it and do the updates before installing it. My Dad bought a 1983 Chevy 4x4 with a 6.2 & 700r4 brand new, and we had numerous problems the with trans, losing overdrive a few times and 3rd gear once. This was when the truck was less than 5 yrs old. By the late 80s/early 90s several updates were available and after that we had very little trouble with it. Go to The Diesel Page website(http://62-65-dieselpage.com) and you'll see they sell different volumes of books on the 6.2 & 6.5. One of them(Can't remember which) goes into great detail with pics on the overhaul upgrades and install of a 700r4 behind a 6.2.

Skinny

I would say go for it! As long as you are not doing severe duty service with it, the 700r4 would be greatly beneficial to a CUCV. I think if you were doing massive amounts of towing, a 4L80E would be a better option but I think the 6.2 would probably be angry before that point. Lots of haters online for the 700R4 but it has been out for almost 30 years now...all of it has been worked out. I'd love a 700R4 for my M1031 but I haven't driven enough highway for me to justify it yet. Plus my rig only has 8,000 miles on it so I'm sure the TH400 has some life left. That doesn't stop me from keeping an eye out for a diesel 700R4 :)

Don't let anyone rain on your parade, the 700R4 is a good choice. I hate to say it because the TH400 is a rather rugged transmission capable of some serious abuse under pressure but it's a big dumb floppy transmission. Sucks power, terrible gear ratios, no lockup, no overdrive...as far as specs go it's almost useless but it simply does what it does best which is work.

One more thing, doesn't the M1028 have an NP205? If so, you may want to look into what it takes to marry the tcase up to it. I don't believe there was a single OEM application for a 700R4 to NP205.

wayne pick

To marry the 700-R4 to your NP-205 you will need to change the TC input shaft to 27 splines. You will also need the adapter from a TH350 that had a 205 behind it. You will also need the 27 spline coupler or power sleeve as it is sometimes called, to mate the trans output to the TC input shaft. You are almost better off finding a 27 spline NP-205 off a TH350.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a straight M1028 it will have the 208. If it's an M1028A1 it will have the legendary 205.

wayne pick

Thanks Recovery4X4, I forgot to mention that:oops:. I also failed to mention that the short TH350 "style" transmission output shaft must be used with the old style NP205. Advance adapter part #AAI-50-6900. Either way, The input side on both the 205 or 208 case will have to be changed to 27 splines.

richingalveston

If you have a 205 and have a 32 spline input shaft, I do not beleive you can change it to the 27 spline because the 27 spline uses a smaller bearing. I changed my 27 spline input to the ORD Magnum input shaft (just waiting on the magnum box to bolt to it).
I had to bore the case out to install the larger bearing that goes with the 32 spline input shaft.
Once you have a 32 spline case you cannot go back to the 27 spline unless someone makes a custom bearing or custom 27 spline shaft that uses the larger bearing.

2HIJOS2126

So much useful advice fellas... Greatly Appreciated... Thanks a lot... The person selling it replied to my email and advised me that he has the tv bracket but broke a plastic piece on it??? My M1028 also has low miles and is running great right now, just seen this 700r4 for sale and I knew I had read somewhere where other MV owners had replaced their TH400 with such transmission... If I can get it for a cheaper price Im gonna scoop it up and gradually rebuild it... Thanks again...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks