• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 Swap Into M1009

johnjr

I have a1009 and put a 700R in i. Best thing I ever did to it,but I have 3.42 gears and 35’s. It really could use 3.73 with these tires. As others have said your truck won’t be in overdrive very much, but what everybody is missing is the lockup torque converte! This is a game changer itself. I have a switch so I can loc it up in 2,3,or 4th gear. You can actually heat the radio when it is locked up!

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a1009 and put a 700R in i. Best thing I ever did to it,but I have 3.42 gears and 35’s. It really could use 3.73 with these tires. As others have said your truck won’t be in overdrive very much, but what everybody is missing is the lockup torque converte! This is a game changer itself. I have a switch so I can loc it up in 2,3,or 4th gear. You can actually heat the radio when it is locked up!
Forgive me, but why would anyone want to heat their radio?

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
years ago I used to build transmissions ( lots of them) . I don't recall who makes the lock-up kit I use to used - but It would lock up the converter hydraulically - it would shift 1-2-3-4 then Lockup Just like it just having a 5th gear. But the TV cable must be hooked up and adjusted correctly!
anyhow as for myself, I like to OD but for grit I'll try and keep my 400 trans..Im going to order a lift kit and install some 38's or 40's to lower the RPM's.. If Im still not pleased then I'll build a 700 and just live with it ,

vanaisa

OK, finally got tach and installed. You guys are right - at 110kmh (68mph) by GPS rpm-s are ca. 2150. Noise is high but seems that this can be reduced with hood and firewall insulation. And my old BFG KO-s are not quietest tires also.
Tried to swap air filter opening to drivers side, as described here:
post 18
I dont know, no difference in my opinion.
So it is OK to drive at this speed not ruining anything (exept fuel consumption of course). As i read here 2000...2200 rpm is "sweet spot" to this engine...

chevymike

OK, finally got tach and installed. You guys are right - at 110kmh (68mph) by GPS rpm-s are ca. 2150. Noise is high but seems that this can be reduced with hood and firewall insulation. And my old BFG KO-s are not quietest tires also.
Tried to swap air filter opening to drivers side, as described here:
post 18
I dont know, no difference in my opinion.
So it is OK to drive at this speed not ruining anything (exept fuel consumption of course). As i read here 2000...2200 rpm is "sweet spot" to this engine...
You can drive forever at that RPM. Many folks driving M1008 at 55 mph are 2600-2700 RPMs. With my OD in my M1010 on 33" tires, I am at 2500-2600 at 65 mph. Go enjoy driving it. If you wanted a quiet vehicle, you bought the wrong one. ;)

vanaisa

Ah, good to know. TH400 is in good working order, so it stays. Aux cooler and tranny temp gauge are on next list.

No, i have my Eldorado, if i want quiet ride.
But some insulation isnt bad thing.

Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks