• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700r4 Tranny

CplJones

Links removes/rule violation

Was looking through craigslist and found this add. Haven't asked if he still has it but sounds like a good deal since it appears it just came out of a vehicle and hasn't been rotting in some guys back yard. I'd snag it up but still reeling over the intial purchase of my M1008. It appears he is in the Cincy, OH area.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spend less time reading CL and more time reading the rules on SS. :deadhorse:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Edited to remind people of the forum rules about Craigslist postings and not express a personal opinion that might "offend" a fellow member.

Quote:
"Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• Do NOT post links to current eBay auctions or Craig's List ads that are not your own. You may post a link to your own auction/ad only if it is in an information/discussion thread about you vehicle/item. Do not start a post in the Conversations forum or your vehicle specific forum just to announce your auction/ad.
• No collusion as specified above."

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And thus a new acronym is born. RTFR Perhaps a compilation, RTFR&M.

Cpl Jones, I'm sure you meant no foul by posting the link but it is prohibited. The rules are suggested reading. With that said, the 700 is a wonderful upgrade for the M1008 as long as you can find the TV linkage. Lots of info here if you search 700R4.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Kenny, Wish we could crown you the king of rtfr, but I just checked the urban dictionary, and it's already there. The compilation, is all yours though! Nice...

CplJones

You are right Recovry, no harm intended and I shoulda read the rules. I don't mind being told when wrong but smart little comments are what bugs me. Enough said.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awe, have fun with it, getting mad don't help...

Laughing does.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 700 is no downgrade unless you plan on being at max capacity all the time. The 400 is a stronger transmission but the 700 can be built economically to handle all the 6.2 can dish out and then some. The lower RPM equates to longer engine life and a huge jump in economy at highway speeds. The bugs that plagued the 700R4 have been worked out since the late 80's.

dstang97

The 700 is no downgrade unless you plan on being at max capacity all the time. The 400 is a stronger transmission but the 700 can be built economically to handle all the 6.2 can dish out and then some. The lower RPM equates to longer engine life and a huge jump in economy at highway speeds. The bugs that plagued the 700R4 have been worked out since the late 80's.
I respect your opinion. I think they are a down grade. There are plenty of options before I would put a 700 in anything.

CplJones

dstang...again, I will admit when I am wrong. Give me a list and I will be more than happy to consider. I am new to this (obviously..ha ha!) and am up for suggestions.

Iceman3005

I agree with Dstang97, yes they are a downgrade, but I agree with Recovry4x4 in that there are a lot of aftermarket companies and parts to build these transmissions up for a very inexpensive price, there is a company out there that has one of these (700r4) behind a 5000 lb. truck running 9 sec quarter miles for over the last year and they haven't broke anything yet. PM me if you want the link to that company. I'm running a 700r4 and love it, especially since I'm getting over 20 miles to the gallon and I can go 70mph. Other options can include a nv4500 manual or an sm465 with a ranger gear splitter in front of it to get overdrive, or if you like too spend a lot of money could put an Allison in it.

nattieleather

I don't consider the 700R4 a down grade from the TH400 at all. In fact I think of it as an upgrade. It has a great low first gear 3.06:1. and a fourth gear of .70:1. Were as the Th400 has a first gear of 2.48:1 and no fourth gear. Therefore I believe the 700R4 gives you a better driving range in that you get a better lower first gear if needed and a high 4th gear to reduce engine RPM and give you better highway speeds. A win-win in my book. And yes they 700R4 can be built to take anything the 6.2 can throw at it.

Now some other automatic option would be to go to a 4L60E which is the 700r4 with electronics or a 4L80E which is the th400 with a fourth gear added, but again electronics are needed to make the transmission work. And before anyone say well yeah you can add a manual valve body...yes you can and then you have a standard transmission with out a clutch. To me and in my mind if your going to have to shift the gears anyhow might as well throw a clutch in there and give your leg some exercise! :lol: 2cents

DieselBob

I've had a 700R4 in both a 85 and a 89 and never had a problem with them. Use to tow my 28' TT with the 89 and never had any issue at all. Had over 300K on the clock with the original transmission sill going strong when I sold it. 2cents