• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 Transmission from a V6 Camaro

Chevybrit

Looking at a 700R4 advertised locally and think the price is right but the seller says its a 'Narrow' 700r4??
From what I've read there is no such thing but am I wrong?
From the pictures it looks like the same shape but maybe someone here can chime in?
As most of the driving will be road based and very little Off road will the 2wd converted be a problem?

1.jpg

sandcobra164

I'm not a transmission guy but I do know that in 89, a 2.8L V6 powered Camaro could be had with a 700R4 as that was my first car. When I look at the pictures above, I would recommend that you take it to a transmission shop and have it gone through before considering swapping it into your truck. I want overdrive in my truck as well. I've personally ruined 3 700R4's due to age, abuse or high mileage. To be fair, two were 4L60E's but same basic design. I'm waiting for the 4L80E swap to be affordable but for now, I'll stick to 50 mph with an old tried but trued TH-400.

Chaski

Won’t work.
That is the oddball 700r4, for the old 2.8L. The bellhousing is different and it will not bolt up.

You want to find a “K” case complete with the aluminum flexplate cover. They came in 4x4 applications and also some later 2WD applications. The newer the better, ideally 1987 or newer. You can decode the number stamped on the pan flange, it will tell you year and application it came from. The “K” case is easy to identify because it has a large uppercase letter “K” embossed in the casting on the bell housing. There are three different types of K cases, Early non aux valve body, late with aux valve body - both with 6 bolts securing the flywheel cover. The last type isn’t very common, it is late style with aux valve body, but only has 4 bolts securing the aluminum flywheel cover. The last two cover mounting ears on that type near the bellhousing are shaved off and it gives a little more exhaust clearance.

If you do find a K case out of a 2wd application you will have to swap the output shaft for a 4x4 one. I did that with a 1990 K case I found in a 2wd S10 that had a 4.3L in it. Also that application had an odd shaft for the shift linkage that I had to swap so that it was clocked correctly.

Last edited:

Chaski

It has the smallest band apply servos offered. I don’t know for sure on other parts. The ATSG 700R4 Update Handbook would tell you exactly what is different.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any long tail, 2wd trans is going to need the tail-shaft for a 4wd installed.

Walk away from that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks