• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

Sparo2

Hey guys,

So I've been looking into installing a four-speed in my Humvee. And the swap that everyone is doing is though is the 4L80E. The only issue with this is that it needs a computer to work properly and the computer to control it is expensive. So I've been looking cheaper alternatives and the only other transmission that I can think of is the 700R4. This transmission is a true four-speed automatic and does not require a computer. Now I know the 700R4 isnt the strongest transmission but I'm going to rebuild it to handle more power. My only question is... will it bolt up to the transfer case? If not, what will be needed?

86m1028

700r4 is 27 spline
400/ 4l80 is 32 spline

If I were gonna do it it would be a 4l80, there is a reason they only used 700's in underpowered 1/2 ton vehicles.

Sparo2

Ya I'll have to upgrade the output shaft. But will it physically bolt up to the transfer case?

I have a 6.2 so it doesn't make that much power. I'm pretty sure with a HD rebuild it will be able to handle it with no problem. Another reason why I don't want to drop so much money on a 4L80E swap is because I'm going to eventually swap in a duramax/Allison. Plus I already have a buddy with a 700R4 just sitting in his garage.

86m1028

I do not know of an adapter that will fit.
The 400/4l80 has a 6 bolt adapter & the 700r4 is 4 bolt.
If your doing a duramax/Allison swap, why waste the time & money putting the 700 in it ?
Even if the trans is free you will still have misc costs i.e. driveshafts, tv cable, bracket etc.
None of that will work with the Allison swap.

Sparo2

The duramax/Allison swap won't be happening anytime in the near future and I need a 4 speed auto right now. I understand I'll have small misc cost here and there just like I would with swapping a 4L80E but the swap will still be a lot cheaper than a 4L80e swap.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own a M1028 truck which has the TH400 3-speed transmission and 4.56 gears. Top speed around 50 mph, downright scary on the interstate, engine sounding like a Japanese motorcycle. A few months ago I made the decision to change-out the TH400 with a 4-speed transmission to pick-up a little extra highway speed. Was torn between the 4L80 and the 700R4, but after reading post-after-post on SS regarding the pros and cons of each transmission, I decided to go with the 700R4 because 1)- the 700R4 is the same case length as the TH400, whereas the 4L80 would require relocating the cross-member and shortening/lengthening the drive shafts; 2)- the 700R4 is a dumb transmission which is controlled by a cable attached to the throttle arm on the injection pump, whereas the 4L80 requires the electronic control box. When that dam EMP bomb goes off and fries all the electronics, my old dumb truck will still crank, run and shift; 3)- the 700R4 series of transmissions have been used in drag racers for years and as a result, the transmission gurus have learned what to do and how to modify the design to handle large amounts of HP and torque. Don't get me wrong, the 700R4 is not the transmission that the 4L80 is, however with the correct components and build procedure it will handle all 155 horses of my 6.2 diesel and then some.

I just purchased a completely rebuilt K-case Level 2 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives in CA which will handle 450 HP and 450 FPT. The fellow that runs Bowtie is Chris Gardner, who just happens to own a M1008 with a 700R4 as his daily driver. I ordered the unit from him with the 32-spline output shaft so it will mate right up with my NP208 transfer case. Chris built the 700R4 with the correct governor and included the correct torque converter with the unit, as well as the brake pedal unlock switch & wiring. I already have everything else for the swap including the correct transmission-to-transfer case adapter, GM TV cable and original TV bracket, OEM dust cover and gaskets. I plan to photo-document the entire process in my rebuild thread over on the CUCV forum.

Hope this helps.

Sparo2

I own a M1028 truck which has the TH400 3-speed transmission and 4.56 gears. Top speed around 50 mph, downright scary on the interstate, engine sounding like a Japanese motorcycle. A few months ago I made the decision to change-out the TH400 with a 4-speed transmission to pick-up a little extra highway speed. Was torn between the 4L80 and the 700R4, but after reading post-after-post on SS regarding the pros and cons of each transmission, I decided to go with the 700R4 because 1)- the 700R4 is the same case length as the TH400, whereas the 4L80 would require relocating the cross-member and shortening/lengthening the drive shafts; 2)- the 700R4 is a dumb transmission which is controlled by a cable attached to the throttle arm on the injection pump, whereas the 4L80 requires the electronic control box. When that dam EMP bomb goes off and fries all the electronics, my old dumb truck will still crank, run and shift; 3)- the 700R4 series of transmissions have been used in drag racers for years and as a result, the transmission gurus have learned what to do and how to modify the design to handle large amounts of HP and torque. Don't get me wrong, the 700R4 is not the transmission that the 4L80 is, however with the correct components and build procedure it will handle all 155 horses of my 6.2 diesel and then some.

I just purchased a completely rebuilt K-case Level 2 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives in CA which will handle 450 HP and 450 FPT. The fellow that runs Bowtie is Chris Gardner, who just happens to own a M1008 with a 700R4 as his daily driver. I ordered the unit from him with the 32-spline output shaft so it will mate right up with my NP208 transfer case. Chris built the 700R4 with the correct governor and included the correct torque converter with the unit, as well as the brake pedal unlock switch & wiring. I already have everything else for the swap including the correct transmission-to-transfer case adapter, GM TV cable and original TV bracket, OEM dust cover and gaskets. I plan to photo-document the entire process in my rebuild thread over on the CUCV forum.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info man. Very useful info. Would you by any chance have any part# for the parts needed? I found a 700R4 adaptor but it comes with a 31 spline shaft.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure I saw part numbers in some of the threads that I found when I searched.

Did you read any of them?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since my 700R4 is going into a M1028 truck, your specific circumstances to install it into a HMMWV may and probably will be different. Having said that, the GM part number for the adapter between the 700R4 and NP208 is 14038663, which is taller than the OEM adapter used behind the TH400. Not sure which adapter will be needed on the HMMWV crossmember. You may just need to get it installed and then make a spacer to fit. The GM flex plate is 14077158, and the TV cable is AC 25515599 which is 36.1" overall length, cable code FK. You will need to find the ever elusive TV bracket which bolts on the engine at the oil pressure sending unit location (rear engine block driver's side). These brackets are tough to find however they regularly pop up on our favorite auction site.

Here is a photo of the Bowtie Level 2 K-case 700R4 which just arrived. Also a photo of the 32-spline output shaft furnished and installed at Bowtie.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other often overlooked but highly valuable asset of the 700R4 is the 3.06 first gear. Huge benefit for a heavy and under-powered truck.

Cosmokramer

700r4 output goes directly into 241. And yes it does do 2wd/4wd. Nice option. I wanted to keep stock all time 4wd, so if you have a standard output shaft on the 700r4, you can keep the np218 by switching out the input shaft of the np218 with one from the np208. These are just the other options with the 700r4 that I've run across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

911joeblow

What was the cost of all this?

Hope this helps.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What was the cost of all this?
Probably more than most folks will want to spend. For me however, cost is not important because I am spending my daughter's inheritance. After having multiple surgeries and a heart attack which almost got me, my goal in life is now to expend all my wealth to fund the items on my bucket list, one of which is having the 700R4 in my truck. Having said that, and for the joy or dismay of all who read this, here's a general breakdown of costs -

2500 - completely rebuilt Level 2 700R4 from Bowtie with 32-spline shaft, torque converter, crating, freight
50 - used OEM dust cover off Ebay
100 - used OEM adapter off Ebay
100 - used OEM TV bracket from a friend here on SS
50 - new GM TV cable
50 - new GM flex plate
50 - new GM shift indicator
50 - new stainless braided flexible firewall-mount dipstick
100 - new Derale auxillary transmission cooler
150 - new Derale pan with cooling tubes and custom temperature bung
50 - new MRAP temperature sending unit with Packard connector
50 - new MRAP transmission temperature gauge
1000 - anticipated costs for installation, fluids, gaskets, etc

As previously intimated, no ordinary person in their right mind would spend this kind of cash for 1 extra gear behind a 155 HP engine. I guess this exercise in cost calculation simply confirms the fact that I am no ordinary person in their right mind, but instead a demented madman hellbent to enjoy whatever time I have left on this earth.

Attachments

davykeith

Probably more than most folks will want to spend. For me however, cost is not important because I am spending my daughter's inheritance. After having multiple surgeries and a heart attack which almost got me, my goal in life is now to expend all my wealth to fund the items on my bucket list, one of which is having the 700R4 in my truck. Having said that, and for the joy or dismay of all who read this, here's a general breakdown of costs -

2500 - completely rebuilt Level 2 700R4 from Bowtie with 32-spline shaft, torque converter, crating, freight
50 - used OEM dust cover off Ebay
100 - used OEM adapter off Ebay
100 - used OEM TV bracket from a friend here on SS
50 - new GM TV cable
50 - new GM flex plate
50 - new GM shift indicator
50 - new stainless braided flexible firewall-mount dipstick
100 - new Derale auxillary transmission cooler
150 - new Derale pan with cooling tubes and custom temperature bung
50 - new MRAP temperature sending unit with Packard connector
50 - new MRAP transmission temperature gauge
1000 - anticipated costs for installation, fluids, gaskets, etc

As previously intimated, no ordinary person in their right mind would spend this kind of cash for 1 extra gear behind a 155 HP engine. I guess this exercise in cost calculation simply confirms the fact that I am no ordinary person in their right mind, but instead a demented madman hellbent to enjoy whatever time I have left on this earth.
The sad part about your post is that I completely identify with you.

infidel got me

Performance automatic trans. center has Humvee complete kits for $3400. Shipped no core charger. Supposed to be a direct fit..... we all know how that goes.. My customer ordered one Saturday/ I'll keep you posted..... Sharecropper, not trying to step on your toes/ I know it takes a lot to source these parts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks