• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 transmission in a HMMWV

87m998

It was $3250.00 and if you send in your core you get a 3 yr warranty, if not 2yr warranty. I didn't get the shifter from them as I found it for $35.00 cheaper.

90Jimmy

Finally got a Tach installed....turns out I have just been babying this truck. JTB was spot on in his post about RPM and speed. I’m running like 2300 at 60. Way less RPM than I thought. Got it up to 70 no worries. Prolly not gonna run around that fast but it’s good to know it’s available.

Last edited:

JAG

Nice!!!!
It really helps my case in making me get one.
Just trying to determine if I can source all the parts or just buy one from DirtyzBoyz

You got the 700R4 right 90Jimmy?

I drove it to work today and average speed is 55-60 for about 20 miles. It was miserable. Haha

90Jimmy

Nice!!!!
It really helps my case in making me get one.
Just trying to determine if I can source all the parts or just buy one from DirtyzBoyz

You got the 700R4 right 90Jimmy?

I drove it to work today and average speed is 55-60 for about 20 miles. It was miserable. Haha
Yes, 700R4.

87m998

90jimmy do you have any pic's of the tach install? I have a tach but not wanting to cut anything up without see how it would look etc.
thanks

JoeJrTheBarber

I installed my tach in place (general area) of the stock air filter gauge (which never worked anyways).
Clean, easy to read while driving, etc...
Tach3.jpg

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. That is the exact same place I plan to install mine. Did you have to gave the gauge overhang the mounting surface? I wondered because of the depth of the gauge and the metal supports behind the dash.

Thanks,

Mark

JoeJrTheBarber

Looks great. That is the exact same place I plan to install mine. Did you have to gave the gauge overhang the mounting surface? I wondered because of the depth of the gauge and the metal supports behind the dash.
Nope, The gauge sits flush in the dash as you can see below..
Tach1.jpgTach.jpgTach2.jpg

camoscout

I have read almost all the post in this thread. I would like to piece together my own 4 speed transmission conversion kit 700r4 with 32 spline output shaft. I'm still a little confused about the adaptors between the 700r4 transmission(4 bolt) and the 218 transfer case(6bolt) if # of bolts is correct. I have a 1987 M998 with a 6.5 NA, TH400, and NP 218. If you have your 700r4 built with a 32 spline output shaft what adaptors if any will you need to connect the 218 t-case. If your 700r4 has 27 spline output shaft what adaptors will you need? I think that it would be easiest to have 32 spline output on 700r4. Finally, If you have to use an adaptor, did you have to modify propeller (drive) shafts? Is it best to need an adaptor so you don't need to modify propeller shafts? Just trying to figure out the easiest way. The adaptors I commonly see mentioned are:

Advanced Adaptor 50-6901
Advanced Adaptor 51-3202

HMMWV M998 Part# 5578404

Thanks!

Thomas M998

Just found this 700 R4 transmission kit for $3300 on eBay. Guy is located in Orlando FL. called Transmission Depot of Orlando. Not affiliated with the seller, trying to find out if anyone has any personal experiences with this outfit ?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read a post previously that a "guy" there has done some shifter conversions and may be a good source for trannies in the M998.. If i can find the previous post i will forward it to you. They even mentioned his name.. sorry i cant think of it off the top of my head.. If its same outfit, ive heard good things

Lazboytt

I have read almost all the post in this thread. I would like to piece together my own 4 speed transmission conversion kit 700r4 with 32 spline output shaft. I'm still a little confused about the adaptors between the 700r4 transmission(4 bolt) and the 218 transfer case(6bolt) if # of bolts is correct. I have a 1987 M998 with a 6.5 NA, TH400, and NP 218. If you have your 700r4 built with a 32 spline output shaft what adaptors if any will you need to connect the 218 t-case. If your 700r4 has 27 spline output shaft what adaptors will you need? I think that it would be easiest to have 32 spline output on 700r4. Finally, If you have to use an adaptor, did you have to modify propeller (drive) shafts? Is it best to need an adaptor so you don't need to modify propeller shafts? Just trying to figure out the easiest way. The adaptors I commonly see mentioned are:

Advanced Adaptor 50-6901
Advanced Adaptor 51-3202

HMMWV M998 Part# 5578404

Thanks!
Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am putting one of these together, I think I will just go with the NP241 part time case, no snow down here in S Texas to take advantage of having FWD on the street, I already have a 4L60E with a NP241 and a 700R4 K case so I have most of what I need (the rotating parts are with a couple exceptions all the same in the 4L60E as the 700R4), very easy transmission to rebuild
It's no doubt this will be a great transmission for the M998, much more efficient than the 400/4L80E, very important whist trying to get everything one can out of the low power GM diesel, in fact the TH400 was the most inefficient light duty transmission GM ever made (yes in the vehicle world even a 1 ton is light duty) Certainly the 400/4L80E was a wise choice when being operated by a 18-20somthing year olds as they are rather indestructible, and of course anyone with an "uparmor" machine would probably not want to go with the 700R4, factory stock the 700R4 is rated at 350 pounds feet of torque and with a few upgrades can do much better, a mature driver should have no issues, however I am not sure going with a "maxed out" "hot rod" setup would be the best choice, there is no need to have excessively harsh shifts to shock the drive line, IMHO

skaz76

I have read a post previously that a "guy" there has done some shifter conversions and may be a good source for trannies in the M998.. If i can find the previous post i will forward it to you. They even mentioned his name.. sorry i cant think of it off the top of my head.. If its same outfit, ive heard good things
I have looked into this option. He's a nice guy and seems to know his stuff, but......this is not a direct install "kit" the $3500 ish price includes all the parts needed to build the transmission. You still have to provide a case and someone to assemble it. The shifter modification is an additional cost and doesn't include shipping. this was a few months back but iirc to get everything from them it would be in the $4000 range and i still had to buy a case and have it built....to much work for me for the $$$$$

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if anyone has tried the Winters Sidewinder 177-1 shifter, I see them for $200 shipped on Fleabay, drop another $60 and you can get rid of the standard mount and get a flush mount kit.
These guys have pictures of them including the flush mount, they offer the flush mount option at no extra charge which comes out about the same plus shipping.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked into this option. He's a nice guy and seems to know his stuff, but......this is not a direct install "kit" the $3500 ish price includes all the parts needed to build the transmission. You still have to provide a case and someone to assemble it. The shifter modification is an additional cost and doesn't include shipping. this was a few months back but iirc to get everything from them it would be in the $4000 range and i still had to buy a case and have it built....to much work for me for the $$$$$
Interesting. His listing made me think a "prepared" transmission arrived as part of the purchase price. For that amount of $$$ I'll work with a local company then. I have saved his listing still, since he says he can convert 3spd shifters readily. I wish he'd make a hundred...

BDGR

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Advanced Adaptor 50-6901
Advanced Adaptor 51-3202

HMMWV M998 Part# 5578404

Thanks!
[/QUOTEAny comments on this from anyone or did you figure out parts numbers for the 700r4 to 218 conundrum ??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks