• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 Wiring info

acmunro

I see KennyW's truck must have been a K20 it probably has a 10.5 or 9.5 14 bolt rear.
Some part listings show the same U-Joint at the rear drive shaft rear position for the 14 bolt rear and the 1/2 tons 10 bolt rear. Would like to confirm with someone who has done this swap.

tut69

Al,
Yes I did do the swap... I installed an 83 or 84 700r4 trans and transfer case from a civi 1/2 ton. I ended up using a 88 1/2 ton driveshaft with a u-joint from NAPA that changes from insde lock to outside lock. The stock driveshaft from the 400 settup was 2" too short. Thanks to kennyw I was also able to hook up the lockup torque with civi harness (thanks kenny). It all works very well together. Let me know if you need any help with the details. Tim

kennyw

The stock driveshaft from the 400 settup was 2" too short
Glad the wiring worked for you.

There may be some differences depending on the year, but in my '83 K20 the overall length of the 700/208 was the same as the CUCV TH400/208 that I put in. So I didn't have to change driveshafts (but I also had the donor driveshafts if I ended up needing them). On a K5 you can easily find stock driveshafts for a 700/208 when you walk through most wrecking yards if needed.

AJMBLAZER

Ah, I was thinking you needed different length driveshafts.

Hrmmmm...still vaguely thinking about a 700R4 swap as she's not at all about a stick shift...

kennyw

I'd rather find a '91 suburban or 1 ton with a 4L80E behind the 6.2L as a donor. I haven't had any luck with having 700R4's being built. But I work my trucks within the factory load limit too.

AJMBLAZER

Eh, about 11 years ago my dad cooked the 700R4 in our '92 and paid a good amount of money to have it rebuilt with some beef. It can be done but it isn't cheap and you have to find a rebuilder who knows what they are doing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks