• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'71 disconnect front hubs, sprague sticking?

Shelby1962

On my '71 5 ton we removed the front hub covers and installed a set of blanks. The truck goes down the road much better but the driveshaft is still spinning the front axle. Shouldn't the transfer case stop spinning the front driveshaft? Do I need to remove the airline going to the transfer Case?
Not sure what to do at this point.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Call me, 703-389-6705, sprag is not sticking, blank hub covers WILL NOT support the outer axle ends, causing damage/ware fairly quick.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, interrupt the air supply. Since it is an automatic T-case, it kicks in front wheel drive when the rears spin faster than the front. Since you disconnected the spline caps, it thinks the rears are spinning.

Shelby1962

Yup, interrupt the air supply. Since it is an automatic T-case, it kicks in front wheel drive when the rears spin faster than the front. Since you disconnected the spline caps, it thinks the rears are spinning.
Do I need to interrupt the upper or lower airline going to the transfer case?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not sure, its been a while since I've been in one, probably both. I think one line puts it in forward and the other puts it in reverse.

Edit, I'd call Ron and see what he has to say about it.