• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

71 M35 Transmission help

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No puller will be needed.

Reshimming the bearing cap, may be needed.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the syncro hub is splined and on a inner hub that is keyed to the shaft, hence the syncro hub has to turn with the shaft. see above pics for 'dogs' that then lock the syncro to the gear, making the gear turn the shaft.

the rear brng on the top shaft is a .0012 press fit on the shaft so it is pretty tight. easiest to fully remove the short drive shaft so you have more room. you can put the trans in two gears at once so it will be locked to take the nut off the rear of the shaft, then pull the flange off, then 4 bolts for brng retainer, then puller for brng. slide shaft to rear, 14 rollers will fall out of frone input shaft, retrieve them with a magnet later. lift up front of shaft and slide up and forward leaving rev gear in the case.

Big Red Bull

OK, so once I have removed the 4 bolts to the transfer case, and get the shaft out of the way, remove the center nut holding the yoke, is that pressed on or should it slide off? Geeze I don't meant to be a pain-in-the-neck here.......I'm just trying to understand this. Since I have the spare transmission it "would seem" logical to just swap out upper shafts. I'm actually leaving for Maryland for 3 weeks so it will have to wait until I return. Thanks for all of this help. I really do appreciate it.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
No puller will be needed.

Reshimming the bearing cap, may be needed.

maybe on an old worn shaft, i polish the shafts down to a neat fit for ease of assembly, but original specs are for .0012 tight fit which is really tight.

there have never been any shims involved with this trans, someone may have mistakenly used some for some unknown reason, but the tolorences longitudinaly are quite forgiving.

Big Red Bull

Yeah, well if I go ahead and use the upper shaft from the spare trans I will put it into my parts cleaner first. The press fit doesn't bother me too much, I can work with that, though difficult it may be. My biggest thing is just understanding and you've explained that quite well. Although, from the pictures you've shown me, it's difficult to grasp that all of those dogs have worn. I bought the truck with 12,000 on it and have 28,000 on it now

Big Red Bull

My profile picture was taken right there on Rt 50 in Queenstown across from the outlets. I used to have a catering business and pulled my trailer with the duece

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
bad 2nd gear.jpg

this 2nd gear was in a recent rebuilt by army trans. i threw it away.

Although, from the pictures you've shown me, it's difficult to grasp that all of those dogs have worn. I bought the truck with 12,000 on it and have 28,000 on it now

the hardness of the gears is only about .060", once the dogs get chipped they would wear fast if the syncro was bad. may have been a repaired trans that the army mech just put old parts in. problem is that you never really know the milage or hours, it could be anything.

Big Red Bull

Apparently each time the military does something to these trucks the VIN changes. Mine basically had new metal on the drivers side, door, fender, hood, step, etc. The original paperwork that came with the truck said 1971. When I registered it in MD, with the title, numbers were missing on the end of the VIN. They were xxxx'd out so the last time my truck was used by the military was 1980. Now its registered as a 1980, so who knows how many miles it had.

Thats amazing.....I wonder what the other gear dogs look like?????????

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what I was thinking.

old age is setting in, I suppose.

Dipstick

Great information in this post. I have a question regarding shift quality. My transmission feels like it "snicks" into gear on upshifts. It doesn't grind. I guess I'm feeling the dogs engaging. Am I moving the gear lever to slowly through neutral in to the next higher gear? Is the "snick" feeling in the gear lever normal? You can actually hear the snick/click sound a little bit.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Great information in this post. I have a question regarding shift quality. My transmission feels like it "snicks" into gear on upshifts. It doesn't grind. I guess I'm feeling the dogs engaging. Am I moving the gear lever to slowly through neutral in to the next higher gear? Is the "snick" feeling in the gear lever normal? You can actually hear the snick/click sound a little bit.

you would probably need to drive another truck to compare, but that may be normal

GabrielDuce

Im dealing with a similar issue! Truck would not shift out of or into second with out really pushing hard! Now it wont go into 2nd or 3rd! 1st and reverse, 4th and 5th are good! Here is a pic. Ill post the pictures of the removed shaft tomorrow and pictures of what I find!

2013-04-10 19.06.34.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks