• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

71 M35 Transmission help

Big Red Bull

Hey Guy's,

I have a 71 deuce and everything has been fine but the other day I was shifting from 1st to 2nd, heard a pop and lost 2nd gear. Went into 3rd and it kept going. Now all gears work but 2nd. Any idea's on what may have happened? how to fix it???? I have a 2nd transmission here thats got a cracked housing but the internals are good as far as I know.

Brad
heilb@yahoo.com

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I lost 5th gear, I simply swapped out the transmission. You can find take-outs very cheap. I did the clutch and PP at the same time, although mine was working fine. Bottom line is never start out in 2nd gear.

wb1895

I dont believe that you sheared the keys. If the keys were sheared you would loose second and third gear ( ask me how I know).

What happens when you put her in second gear?? Does nothing happen? Does it grind?..........

Big Red Bull

Yeah, I can shift into 2nd fine. Nothing happens though. Drop it into 3rd and I'm on my way from there on. No haven't pulled the top yet. Wanted to get some ideas before I pulled it to have an idea what I'm gonna look for. It makes no noise what-so-ever when in 2nd but it does nothing either. It was strange how it happened. I had been going through town shifting as usual. Last stop sign I got to I started in 1at shifted to 2nd heard a small pop and then nothing. Put it into 3rd and have torque on the driveshaft again. Now it's 1st to 3rd and everything works but I can't keep doing that. I have an 11,000Lb trailer t pull

When I lost 2nd in mine I also lost 3rd, the shifter would not move into 2nd or 3rd because the splines on the inside of that collar stripped out completely fusing it to the main shaft. It dosent sound like thats what happend here, sounds more like the 2nd gear itself is stripped or broken. Do you or have you ever taken off in 2nd?

Big Red Bull

I don't know anything about these transmissions. Of what I do know, I'm thinking a keyway or roll pin maybe??? There is absolutley no noise when in 2nd gear and it shifts into it fine but there's no mesh of gearing either

wb1895

It might be possible that your second gear fork is broken or bent. take off the top of the tranny and look to see what is going on. Making repairs are very easy on the 3053a transmission. I was able to pull the top of the transmission, remove the main shaft, replace my broken parts and get her back together in about 2 hours.

Hint: you DO NOT need to drop the transmission to remove the main shaft.

If you want to send me a PM I will help as much as I can to get her going again

Last edited:

Big Red Bull

Tom, is this an easy fix? If it's a snap ring can I put a new one on without tearing much out? Wound up working Mon and today. Haven't had an opportunity to take the top apart yet to look. hopefully tomorrow weather depending.

Thanks

Brad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks