• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

.71 od installed

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this is sort of a continuation of the gear math subject. today i finished installing the .71 od gears. i am very pleased with the difference. the shift from 4th to 5th is almost the same rpm change as the 3rd to 4th shift, not the puny change we have been used to. and with 14.5r20 (same as 11:00-20) tires, it still has enough guts to tackle my 'test hills' and provide good results. i was suprised at the performance, hard to notice any drop in power or acceleration. there is however one potential problem...... the relative speed of the 2nd gear on the mainshaft to the mainshaft itself is 2622 rpm at engine rpm of 2500. this is likely to cause the 2nd gear to want to seize to the mainshaft. i have heard of this problem when stock trucks are run at max speed, and there appear to be 2 different 2nd gears with the same part number. the older gear has a solid web between the hub and gear while the newer one has 3 large ( maybe 1/2") holes through the web. these are not to be confused with the three oiling holes that are small and go in through the hub to the shaft area. does anyone have any info on when and why this change was made?? or is there any published info on how to solve this lubrication issue?? i am inclined to try putting synthetic atf in the trans and see how it fairs, the 30wt i put in today did not eliminate the problem.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reading about automatic transmissions, more oil holes have been drilled in souped up models, but I do not recall if the oiling was pressurized or not.

spicergear

Good to see that project is moving right alone...no pun intended. My white and blue toy runs atf in the six speed...that tranny runs a 50% overdrive- maybe some notes to be taken there.

Did you happen to pop the top off that other 3053 and see what was clinking?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
dennis the problem so far is that the gears are very obsolete, by more than 40 years, so none are availbale. i am talking to a gear company about making some but they are very slow in giving me a price. just a gut feeling it would cost near $1000 to upgrade a trans. first you need the two gears, second you need to solve the 2nd gear lube problem, which i am sure i can do with some design changes.

tom, someone had pulled the mainshaft out and when you do all the rollers on the front fall out. they just left them in the trans and put more in the head gear when they put it back togeather. the head gear and 4 - 5 syncro were wasted, other wise good for parts. thanks again

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tom, at that price, I assume you have searched high and low for a reasonable 6+ gear trans to swap in.......and decided t was not practically feasible?

I care nothing for going faster, or fuel mileage really (My Deuce is better on gas than my Hemi Road Runner was) but I would like to extend the multi's life as far as possible.

devilman96

Tom,

I would like to take a crack at the 2nd gear oil issue... Images would be a help for the moment outer and inner, as close as possiable with out being a mess... If you have a spare I will pay shipping on it to look at it more closely.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not being into this, I could however suggest that old manuals are studied for gear ratios etc.

I myself am of the opinion that the step from 3rd to 4th is too big, especially when heavily loaded.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey flatlander, your taking spicergear's comment in the wrong context. He was talking about a transmission he gave to M35-tom for parts.

Dennis

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent some time at Inland Truck Parts. We couldn't find anything that would fit in the space lengthwise and was big enough. There probably is something, but whatever it is may not be so common. At one point I'd toyed with an OD for just the rears, but that would be well over the estimated $1K.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks