• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

72 M35A2

mtech

Just want to say hello as I am new to the site and a new deuce owner. I picked up a 72 A.M. General from GL on March 10, 2006. I won the auction for $1685 back in January. Since I won the auction I found SS and have been doing a lot of sight seeing. You guys are the greatest. The best site I have ever visited. Glad to be a member. The description said one of the rear ends was locked up. So far the only problem I found was a stuck park brake. She runs and drives fine. Needs a few minor things, someone stole the wiper motors and control knob. Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

mtech

Cranetruck - I didn't drive it home as I was expecting a locked rear end. My dad owns a heavy duty truck repair shop and towing service. So we towed her home about 40 miles from the Rock Island Arsenal. Also, just in case anyone was wondering, I did get SF97 paperwork with my auction. Sounds like I could have been one of the last to receive this.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm really jealous of you!! Thats a nice deal. When you have the time, please tell us more and there's no such thing as using your camera to much.(more pics)

xcapist

Buying at GL

Hello all.
I'm new to the site and looking for an M35. I've considered buying from GL but I'm worried about the logistics of getting the truck since there's no guarantee about condition. Would it be insane to bid on a truck without having a means of towing it home? Some of the trucks look to be in good shape but I couldn't necessarily preview them. And what would I have to do to drive it home even if it did run? MA is strict about titles and registrations, and I'm not sure the plates from my '05 Dodge would let me go unnoticed. Any tips would be helpful as I'd like to bid this month.
Thanks everyone.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mtech,
WELCOME to our Big Green Iron family! You got a huge deal. Just shows that GL still has some good deals to be had. Of course, having a father who could tow it home is a good thing.

xcapist,
Now I can't say anything about MA, as I've never visited your state. I'm sure someone here can help you with those questions. Having said that, I drove my truck home and then around to get it inspected and then over to get the plates. Drove RIGHT BY several police officers in their vehicles and never once got anything more than a smile, a wave or thumbs up from those that bothered.

Remember, when you do purchase one, you have joined a group of people that ON A WHOLE are just the nicest group of people you could ever want to know. And we help each other out. Plus we try and put on a good show for our communities, so we are not 'feared' or worse 'threatening looking'. I just called my local highway patrol and had a long talk with them. I was up front saying I had no idea what to expect. They were all very nice here in Colorado.

And I got lucky. Being in the exact same spot you are in now, I found a deuce from a guy locally here for $3500. It was in excellent shape. I just replaced the tires and I'm good to go...

jim

rice

Buying at GL

xcapist said:
Hello all.
I'm new to the site and looking for an M35. I've considered buying from GL but I'm worried about the logistics of getting the truck since there's no guarantee about condition. Would it be insane to bid on a truck without having a means of towing it home? Some of the trucks look to be in good shape but I couldn't necessarily preview them. And what would I have to do to drive it home even if it did run? MA is strict about titles and registrations, and I'm not sure the plates from my '05 Dodge would let me go unnoticed. Any tips would be helpful as I'd like to bid this month.
Thanks everyone.
If you see a truck you like post here. Maybe someone here might be close enough to go check it out for you.

Buying at GL

xcapist said:
Would it be insane to bid on a truck without having a means of towing it home?
First of all, welcome aboard mtech and xcapist. I hope you fulfill your fantasy to get one of these fever inducing hunks of green iron.

Bid on a truck without looking at it or no means of making sure it gets home?
I did just that on my truck.

Short story -
I had just purchased a 1971 AMG that was in deplorable shape even though I did drive it home from a private party sale in Santa Barbara - about a 1 hour drive in normal traffic/vehicle.
What did I know? I was a NOOB.
I did not know about this site here and every truck I saw on ebay was clear across the country. This is the first one I found locally and it did run - well, it did run.
No windshield, leaking brakes/axle seals, leaky radiator, leaking fuel line, broken spring holding the parking brake shoes (clangity - clangity - clangity all the way home - sheesh!!!), tires were all weather cracked, and who knows if the brake lights worked. :shock: :shock:
Did I mention that it did run?

The guy I bought it from started it up and it drove it to the gas station next to the freeway. I paid him $2500.00 cash, put in $50 worth of diesel and, having never driven a deuce before, jumped onto the freeway and immediately passed a CHP sitting on the onramp (big wave!! :shock: ) only to be passed by another CHP within 45 seconds of entering the slow lane on the freeway.
OMG! I am going to jail and my truck impounded for sure.

But! I had my first deuce and the smile was pure genuine.
BTW, it did run.

Shorter ending -
I found GL and started watching it in hopes of getting a truck for cheap as a parts truck. Heck, just the tires and windshields alone would cost more than a whole truck off of GL.
Found one I really liked the looks of in the pictures. Never went to see it as it was 380 miles away. It also had a cargo canopy that I really like the idea of getting and ended up winning the truck for $3650. I really got lucky. It was a '73 AMG and a gem. Even though it did run great, I had it trucked to my house as I only had one day to get it back and didn't have the time in case there was one little glitch of getting it home.
Once I got it home I sold the first truck I bought for $2000.00 just to be rid of it. The second truck runs great and drives like a dream.
This picture is of the truck just before I started it up and drove it onto the lowbed.
Did I mention that this one runs a whole lot better, is a whistler turbo, and doesn't have all the bent up sheet metal like the first one
Well...... that first one did run. :)

Attachments

Katch1

m-tech let me know if you need any help with anything, I'm only 2 hrs away by floyd, just east of Mason City. I've been through a few probs already, and am willing to help if I can

mtech

Katch1
Thanks for the offer, I will definately keep that in mind. Just wondering if you know of any salvage yards locally where parts can be found?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks