• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

77' Jeep M35A2 leaking hubs in the front.

kellereaton

Let me start by saying, I just bought my first Deuce and I love the truck more than I thought I would so far! It a 1977 Jeep with the Continental multifuel engine. The truck runs strong and I plan to use it to haul firewood, move materials and that kind of thing. The only problem I need to address are the front hubs leaking like a sieve. I've got the repair manual on a thumb drive, can anyone pinpoint what the issue might be? There are some rubber boots that are pretty chewed up so I suspect that has something to do with it. Is this something I need to fix before I drive the truck any more? I've attached a picture. Thanks!

Attachments

KRedd

Its leaking what? If its 80/90 wt then it could be the inner axle seal. If its just oily grease then the CV boot.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boots will keep the grease in but that looks more like a liquid=gear oil so yes you need to replace the oil seal in the housing. When the boots get cracked or torn you will usually see chunks of grease coming out.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Let me start by saying, I just bought my first Deuce and I love the truck more than I thought I would so far! It a 1977 Jeep with the Continental multifuel engine. The truck runs strong and I plan to use it to haul firewood, move materials and that kind of thing. The only problem I need to address are the front hubs leaking like a sieve. I've got the repair manual on a thumb drive, can anyone pinpoint what the issue might be? There are some rubber boots that are pretty chewed up so I suspect that has something to do with it. Is this something I need to fix before I drive the truck any more? I've attached a picture. Thanks!
See that plug in the middle of your photo/ That is the plug that is to be removed when greasing as in the TM

Attachments

m715mike

I see three options:

1) Oily grease. NAPA bearing grease has done that to me.
2) Gear oil - seal is bad.
3) Break fluid. A bad wheel cylinder has done that to me a couple of times.

If you are going to take the time to dig into it, replace everything. The parts are cheap enough.

Here are some resources:

I like the axle boots from rockwelloffroad.com

Also, the last time I took an axel apart, I had the break drums turned at NAPA.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You can drive for years with ripped boot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks