• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

77 M880 / Tires

bwhite757

Hey guys, great forum. I did a search for tires on here, but didn't really come up with many results other than Humvee tires...

Oh, well I guess first let me say. Hey! I bought this truck a couple of weeks ago now. Typical M880, all stock as far as I know. Bought it for Farm work, trash runner, and light tower. Engine runs great, leaking oil from the pan so I need to replace the gasket, possibly the pan, but other than that runs top notch. Only 31k miles on her. Frame is rust-free, and body is in great shape.

http://www.cgcrec-server.com/truck

Anyway, after going through and changing all of my fluids Sunday, I took her out for a drive. Headed back home all of a sudden she started shaking horribly. I pulled over to check, and the left front tire's treads had separated, and it had a huge bulge in the tire. Not having a jack in the truck, I decided to try and limp her back home (I was on a back country road, about 3 miles from my house). The tire blew pulling into my neighborhood.

So today I decided while I was at work I would call around and figure out some prices to put new rubber on her. I completely forgot to go check the tire size that is on it now, and I'm at work 65 miles away. Again, as far as I know, everything is stock on this truck, any of you guys know what size wheels are on it?? And even further, I'm wanting to put a larger All-Terrain tire on it, something that won't rub, but fills the tire well better. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys, and again great Forum!

Last edited:

Blythewoodjoe

It looks like you have the super crappy 16.5" wheels that where stock on these things. I rounded up a set of modern 16" wheels for my truck and I would suggest for what you are using it for you should do the same. You can find good brand all terrain radials in a good size for the 16" wheels that will not brake down off the rim if they go flat. I personally think the 16.5 is a really poor wheel and tire set up. Do be careful though, I bought a trailer with 16" wheels with good tires for my M886 and the center hole is too small to go over the hub in the back. It will fit on the front just fine so they are on the front for now.

What part of the up state are you in? I have in-laws all over the area.

Joe

bwhite757

I live on the outskirts of Greenwood, SC.

Well ok then. Yeah I had come across some other threads on other forums about the 16.5's. I was hoping I didn't have them.

I will keep a lookout for some other wheels, but really wanting to get the truck back moving. (Got some things that need to get done).

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scrap yards will have Dodge 8 hole 16" wheels. Another good place to look for them is at businesses that specialize in 4x4 truck work. They many times have nice take-off stock wheels someone traded in for special wheels for their 4x4. I believe it is Chevy rims that have the smaller center hole but the lug pattern is correct. I have machined out the center hole to fit.
Regards Marti

Blythewoodjoe

Just a note you might find useful. I bought 4 16" factory dodge saw blade wheels and usable tires for my truck a year ago off Craigs list in Charlotte. The chrome is a no no in military stuff, but for $100 I was happy. I still have two on the back but that will change soon. I have a 86 F-250 and the factory wheels for it work great. You should be able to find a set cheap in a junk yard (where all 86 fords end up).

Blythewoodjoe

WHAT! Are you sure you didn't buy a Chevy, you know how that camo will fool you sometimes? Wayne
Amen. My dad bought a 72 Dodge new. They all rust out over the rear wheels unless you keep it in a garage and don't drive them. My M866 has as much rust as the Titanic. We have a wee bit of moisture here in SC.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To answer your original question, the 880 series runs 9.50R-16.5's stock. These are available in a Goodyear Workhorse tire for around $100 ea.

bwhite757

Thanks for the help guys, called around and nobody in town has any 9.50 r16.5's in stock, and cheapest place to order was going to be $180 per tire plus mount/balance. Called the scrap yards around town and can find wheels, but they're wanting $45+ per wheel. I just have a hard time paying that much for a used wheel when I can spend a little more and buy brand new ones....

Did dodge make their center hole smaller on their later model trucks? I found a craigslist post for some '03 2500 wheels 17" for $75, The guy went and measured the center holes for me and reported they were 4 3/4". The ones on my truck are about 4 7/8" and just barely clear the rear hubs so I'm assuming those are going to be too small???

Alex400

yeah they would be. I one thing that off road guys have been doing is picking up stock alloy Hummer H2 rims for strong off road wheel since they are often tossed aside for 20's and other stupid sizes. The problem is the hole in the center is too small. they have them machined out just a little bit to fit. With yours, it's an 1/8" of the diameter! that's less than a 1/16" that you have to take off the radius of the of the center hole. That's not that much IMO. If this is the set you were looking at (4 Dodge 2500 17" steel rims) I would think that if you were to take a grinder with sanding disk and made a couple light passes around the inside you would have plenty of room to clear your hubs.

with your current tire being about 30-31" tall and 9.5 wide, you have quite a few options to keep the stock size that was probably the stock size on the truck these came off of. a 245/70R-17 would be the equivalent size to stock. 30.5" tall and about 9.8" wide. you could go up to a 245/75R-17 which is about a 30.5-31.5" tall and the same width and the next most common tire would be 265/70R-17; about 31.5" and about 10.8" wide.

good luck!

Last edited:

bwhite757

That was 3 different salvage places, and yes I think they're all crooks. Told the last one I could get brand new ones shipped to my house for $220 and he told me he thinks that's what I should do... :twisted:

Anyway, found a mom/pop tire shop down around where I work that had 4 Firestone Transforce HT's in stock, and they said they mount/balance for $95 each. Problem is gotta get the wheels/tires that are on it now down here and get'em swapped out. Gonna take me a couple days as the only way I can transport them is either 1 at a time in my car, or 2 at a time on the roof.. lol

Blythewoodjoe

If you need or want some extra factory wheels, I will give you a set. I have 3 parts trucks as well as a pipe of old wheels. If anyone you know is going to be in the Columbia area any time soon, I can throw them on my truck. If you don't mind spending the gas money, drive down and pick them up. It's a holiday weekend. Good time to take a drive. I'm a little north of Columbia. Call me if your interested. 803-309-7928. I have several new tires on rims, but they are dry rotted. One was under the truck as a spare and still has a few cracks in it.

Joe

bwhite757

Thanks for the offer, however after this set of rubber I'll definitely be putting some 16's on the truck. Don't want to have to go through this hassle again for tires, plus I'd like to have a little more all-terrain tire choices...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks