• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8-1-11 Brokedown OK I-44 Mile 172

gmayor

New member broke down with Deuce, needs advice or assistance. Nice guy met him at Wal Mart as he was passing through MO. Called said he was broke down at mile 172, about 50 miles east of Oklahoma City on I-44 along side of interstate. Anyone around could give a hand would be appreciated. Give me a call and I will give his cell number thanks george 573-855-4801

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm about 40 miles from him. Any idea what the issue is? I'll call and see what the deal is.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got off the phone with him. Lower engine knock. Very loud.

He has made arrangements for a tow and he has a ride back to Sheppard AFB.

He was on I-44 between Tulsa and OKC.

On stand-by if he needs anything else.

gmayor

breakdown

Thanks, just got a call. He found a tow truck at a reasonable price to finish up the trip. Thanks for the calls out of OK City, James and Joe. Engine was knockin bad and leaking oil out below rear main.

waayfast

Since we have no idea what's wrong we will have to send a CH54 Tarhe. What's the Lat/Long?

Heh,Heh, wouldn't that be fun--"Oh, yes Officer thanks for checking on me but here's my tow now---WOPPA, WOPPA,WOPPA------"

I was on a Heli-Logging job years back and some D.A.K.'s rolled their pickup over the bank right in the middle of the show--the quick and easy way was decided as to moving the mess out of the way--"Lois" the S-61 flew it out,hoisted by the front bumper, spilling saws,tools, firewood and beer all the way to the top of the ridge.:grd:

And nope no camera in my truck that day.

Glad the travelers problem got addressed.

Jim

M1075

The truck sounds like major problems, but he had a good attitude. With these high temps, I bet a $750 tow and an air conditioned ride back to Texas didn't sound too bad! Warthog and I were ready to assist, but he has it under control for now.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He just bought the truck and wasn't looking forward to a tow bill AND an engine replacement.

Hopefully it will be something minor, but not likely.

Sometimes Mr Murphy likes to tag along when you really don't want him too.

JimmyHank

First of, I'd like to say a HUGE thanks to George, James, and Joe!! I greatly appreciate your rapid response and willingness to help out a guy that you had either never met or had only met the day prior. Second, I'd like to apologize for the delayed "thank you". The deuce and I made it back home on Tuesday, Wednesday I received a mission brief, and by Friday I was gone. I just recently returned and have not yet had the opportunity to tear into the truck. I'm looking forward to spending all day tomorrow "troubleshooting". haha. Hopefully I'll have more info to follow soon. I just really wanted to get a great big THANK YOU posted now that I'm back home. I'm truly proud to be a member of steel soldiers... even if I am only a newbee with a knocking truck. haha

Thanks again yall!!

James, aka: Jimmy Hank

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to have you back. Thank you for your service to our counrty.

Sorry we couldn't help more.

Let us know what you find. If it is indeed the engine, we might know where to find a replacement.

Warthog

JimmyHank

OK, so here's what I found so far... Fired it up again prior to the tear down and the knock sounded more like top end noise this time around. But still couldn't pinpoint the location. It is in an outdoor barn with tin walls that echo. ha
Then I drained the oil and found copper flakes. Removed the oil pan and found more copper flakes and noticed a small amount of coolant mixed into the oil. Removed the valve covers and found a sludge mixture of oil, some coolant, and grease, but no copper flakes. Removed the oil filters and found a bunch of copper flakes on top of the filters.
I never found any chunks of and type of metal. There was just an abundance of copper flakes. Didn't feel any obvious "unusual" movement in any of the components, ie. rods, push rods, valve springs, etc.
The coolant in the oil did not mix to the point of cloudiness as in most cases. The oil was still dark brown as is most used oil with no unusual smell. The coolant was staying separate, in little green beads mixed into or beading up on top of the surfaces with oil around it.
I've got my theories, but would love any input and suggestions that yall have to offer. Is a rebuild worth it? Or does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced replacement? Oh yeah, the truck is a 1968 AM General M35A2 with the Continental LDT-465-1D. The motor was installed by Toole Army Depot in the mid 90's. The truck is parked at a friend's house about an hour away. So unfortunately, I cannot simply run outside and take a look at it. I'm planning on heading back out to work on it again this Sunday.
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and words of wisdom.
- Jimmy Hank - aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks